For your first prompt, I would like you all to introduce yourselves to one another. Clearly, you should not use your names, but instead you can come up with a nickname for yourself or just not refer to yourself in the Lebron James 3rd person way (watch this to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrd9T-hny84).What I want you to do is explain your internship to your classmates. What are you doing for your internship? What kind of workload do you anticipate having? What do you hope to get out of the internship? What kind of hurdles do you think you may have to overcome? What job would you ultimately like to have? What do you think you need to do to get to that point?
Go into as much detail as you can and feel free to respond to each other. Make sure to check the responses every once and awhile to see if someone asked you a question. It would be rude not to reply in turn. I look forward to hearing your responses. Let me know if you have any questions.
Due: Wednesday, September 7th.
Hey everyone! The nickname I will be choosing you all to refer to me as is Bert. Yes, it's actually a real nickname that I'm called but there's too much detail to go into for this class.
ReplyDeleteI am currently working for the FSU Men's and Women's Basketball team as their assistant equipment manager. This will be my second year with them and my third year in equipment, so I like to say that I have a little bit of experience under my belt. Now, with all that said, I'm sure when everyone thinks of equipment they think of laundry. Yes, there is PLENTY of it but the cool things that I get to experience are all of the other perks that come with the job. But first let me talk about my work load.
Just like all of you I have class to attend, but I'm made sure to complete my schooling in the mornings for the purpose of being available for the practices in the afternoons. My days start around 11 or 12, depending on the day, and will end around 5 or 6, and that's just for pre-season. When practices start it's pretty much an on-call type of job. If I'm home or at the gym and I get a text or call saying that one of our players needs something, I pick up my things and go. At times it can get demanding but I'm the one who signed up for the job so I can't really complain.
So let's get to the fun stuff. Nike is what I consider the cool part of this gig. From this internship I hope to develop better working relationships with our sponsors so in turn I am able to then intern with them. My dream position would be to work for Nike as their Program Manager, and what that is is being in charge of several collegiate schools and making sure all of their orders and equipment needs are met. Yes, I would like to stay with equipment but hopefully be the one actually supplying the goods then receiving them. Pretty much at the end of the day if I could give out as much equipment as I wanted I would. I like making people happy and it's that swoosh on those shirts seem to do the trick.
As of the hurdles of this job, they basically consist of being in the background. I am the assistant and I pretty much take of all the little things that need to get done, such as making sure every player is supplied with a practice loop, or when the managers need towels for the practices. It's those things that don't make the job so great so what I have to do is make sure I stand out to the coaches so they recognize my hard work. I make sure that each of them gets the individual attention they need so they know they can count on me when they need something, that way as the months/years go by they will begin to trust me and hopefully want me to stick around a little longer for more experience.
With that, this internship will be able to get me references from the coaches, and we all know that with sports, it's about who you know, not what you know. At this point I just need to keep doing what I'm doing with making sure all of the needs are met and everything is placed in the areas at the times given. It will take some time and a little more trust but with the season just starting, I think I have a pretty good shot at making it with these teams.
Go Noles,
Bert
Hi Everyone, the nickname I am using is Miguel. My internship for the Fall semester will be doing online sports journalism. I will be writing several articles per week on a variety of topics. I will be on call and when they want me to write about a topic, I have a deadline to complete it by.
ReplyDeleteI anticipate to have a heavy workload. My internship hours will range between 10-20 hours per week and I will write up to 5 articles each week. The toughest part of this internship is maintaining balance between school work, this internship, and other activities I am involved in.
I am looking to bolster my writing skills, make great connections, and broaden my knowledge of all sports. I would ultimately like to end up in the front office of a professional football team one day. I will have to get my Sports Management Degree, and network with as many people as I can, until I can get my foot in the door. You can never do enough networking especially in the sports business.
Hello to all. I don't really have a nickname or never have had one but yall can refer to me as Israel. My internship for this fall is Promotions and Marketing for the FSU athletic department. I am one of 16 or 17 interns that will be participating this semester. Throughout the semester I will be working Florida State sporting events promoting the team playing and possibly other teams in the process. I have only worked one event which was the women soccer game last week. We sat at a booth and handed out flyers and posters and also ran promotions throughout the game. During the week I will be working office hours. During those hours i will be creating promotions and going around Tallahassee to find vendors to buy advertising space for our events.
ReplyDeleteMy workload will include 15 hours a week in the office. This will probably mean about 2-3 hours a day after my classes in the office. Aside from the office hours, like I said above, I will be working sporting events and promotion events for fsu athletics.
I have many hopes for this internship. I hope to get over my fears of new things. I usually succeed in these things if i put my heart into it, but i always have to overcome that initial nervous feeling which masks everything i do before i do it. Make sense? I hope so. My goal in this internship is really to learn every aspect of marketing in sports. I don't necessarily want to do that in my career but i know so little about it and i would love to learn more. Maybe it will be my career path, who knows?
My dream job, and by that i mean DREAM JOB, is to work in administration for a Barclay's Premier League team. For those who might not know, the premier league is known as the greatest soccer league of all time. It is in England. I have always wanted to work with a team. The way to get there for me is unknown but I do know that i will work my bum off till i get the opportunity to get there.
Hey everybody, you all can call me Leo, its just a nickname I have been going by forever. I am currently interning with a marketing firm, where I get to work several sporting events throughout the semester. I will also work in their office, helping them out with distribution, computer work etc. The hours I will work will vary from week to week, depending on how many events are lined up, but it will usually be between 10-15 hours, maybe more. So far I am enjoying the experience, and hope to continue too.
ReplyDeleteWith this internship, I hope to learn if the marketing field would best suit me in the future as a career. My dream job would be a front office gig with a professional team, and I hope to learn if a career in marketing could be that road that would eventually lead me there. This is really my first internship with any sport company, so I know I have a long way to go, but if I can get a feel of the operations around marketing a sport, it would be worth it. I have worked just a few events so far, but I have seen the time it takes to run just a single event, there is alot that goes into it.
With this internship, you also get the chance to meet alot people, so I am looking to capitalize on that as well. I am currently finishing my undergrad along with this internship, and I hope to continue to intern with as many sport organizations as possible, not just related to marketing. I am looking to gain as much experience as possible, before I graduate.
Right now, I am enjoying these new challenges that this internship is presenting to me, and who knows maybe a career in marketing is for me.
Thanks, Leo
Hello everyone I think for my nickname I will use simply "Al" drawing from former FSU forward Al Thorton who wore #12 during his time as nole
ReplyDeleteThis semester I will be continuing work as an operations intern for this small College Football program, we'll just call it "Everest", Everest State University if you must.. I work directly with the Director of Football Operations and help with daily operations of the team. This description is very broad because my position duties are just that. My position is very unique as I get to serve as basically a program assistant in almost all aspects from travel planning, recruiting, summer camp planning and operation to coaching assistance, and player activities.
Venturing over to football after a background that mostly consist of basketball operations has been an experience, but as I balance the two I find my love for the sports and my hopeful future profession to be growing with each day that passes. Each day brings new experiences and interactions which I feel have been essential in my exposure to various aspects of the world of collegiate operations and recruiting.
My weeks usually consist of at least 15 hour but varies, as it can be a on call position at times also. But usually I'm working MWF from 9-2 before switching back over to basketball practices in the afternoons.
Now that we are in football season, things are really switching gears and I'm really looking forward to learning during the height of activity. Game weeks = More work, Big Games = Even MORE work so i'm excited for things to come, especially as we host this team from Oklahoma in about two weeks.
Thanks for your time,
Al
Hi all!
ReplyDeleteFor the purposes of this blog, I will refer to myself as Robyn. This fall, I am interning with a not-for-profit fundraising corporation. I am personally working under “Amanda”. Amanda is the director of one of the “clubs” of the corporation that deals with raising money for specific athletic teams. With this club, donors can contribute to the sport team of their choice, as opposed to just giving to the general fund. Many of my tasks include making flyers, running errands around the office that Amanda doesn’t have time to do, and most of all, organizing anything you could possibly think of. A lot the time, I will also be working events. I help her promote the club in the hopes of gaining members. Also, I tend to help out with other events that go on with the office.
I have worked this internship for the last two semesters, so I know what I am getting myself into for this fall. I typically go into the office 3 days a week while also working events afterwards or on weekends. It is plenty of work, but a lot of fun at the same time. Amanda is great to work with and had become sort of a big sister to me. We can talk as friends while still getting all of our work done, which makes this internship enjoyable. I can honestly say I never mind going into the office. I am looking forward to getting more experience out of this internship. I like learning how to be a part of an office environment; what can and can’t be done. A hurdle that I have had is time management. Many times, I have to get my school work done at a certain time because I know I have to work the next day or will be busy at an event. This internship has and will continue to make me plan ahead of time, which is something I have gotten better at, but could definitely continue to work on.
Ultimately, I would love to work for a professional sports team or league; hopefully in Major League Baseball or in the National Football League. Being more specific, I would love to work in the player personnel department. They get to interact with the athletes and serve as sort of an agent without having to continue to go to school. To get to that point, I will just have to continue to work hard, try and make as many contacts as possible, and be persistent in following my dream.
Robyn
Hello everybody hope all is well! The nickname I will be using for this class is CC and my internship this semester is as the Student Manager for the nationally ranked Florida State University women's soccer team.
ReplyDeleteLet me start of by saying I really enjoy my job and all the experiences that have come along with it already. But with that being said, it is not all fun and games and there is also a lot of work that comes with this job. I pretty much work seven days a week for a minimum of three hours per day, but can work as long as twelve hours if it is a game day or a travel week. I am in my second year of this internship and I have learned quite a bit.
I have done and continue to do a lot of things, including videotaping games, taking stats, setting up practice and game fields, picking up all the equipment, pumping up balls, preparing different types of paperwork for traveling, actually traveling with the team, well let's just say you name it and I probably have either done it on my own or helped someone do it.
Since my dream job is to coach at the Division One collegiate level, I hope to build on this unbelievable opportunity and use my experience to separate myself from other candidates who are also pursuing the same goal. Everyday I learn something new that I previously did not know about college soccer and I record everything, so I can utilize all this knowledge to my advantage in the future. I am so thankful to be given this opportunity and I know that it will one day lead to me achieving my dream job.
Hello everyone, for this blog you can call me Tex. This semester I will be working as a student equipment manager for FSU football. It will be a very demanding job that requires a lot of hours. My position requires me to look after the clothing and equipment for nearly all people in the Football department. In addition to that I am required to assist in drills for all practices. Also I will be traveling with the team to all away games therefore all managers and I will be in charge of packing and moving everything the team needs across the country numerous times this season. Due to everything mentioned I anticipate a very heavy workload for this season.
ReplyDeleteThis internship is a great opportunity because it allows me to gain real world work experience while in school. Being able to work for a d-1 school is also a great opportunity because for all levels of football, such as high school, college, and the NFL, college football would be the most demanding due to the high number of players who need everything provided for them. In comparison to high school the bare minimum is provided, and in the NFL players provide much of their own equipment due to contracts they hold with Nike, Under Armor, etc. Therefore an internship in college football will prepare me to work well at any level of football.
The hurdles I see having in this internship would be getting past the long hours, and satisfying the needs of coaches and players in a very high stress environment. The job I would ultimately like to have would be as a sales representative for a major equipment company such as Nike, Under Armor, or Riddell. To get to that point I would have to know the insides and outs of all equipment used in football to better sell a product. Therefore I feel this is the perfect internship to get to that point.
Hello everybody, for this blog, I will go by the name of Chuck Finley, or CF for short. For this semester, I will be working as an intern in the Sports Information department at Florida State University.
ReplyDeleteThis is something that was completely foreign to me prior to getting this internship. Over the summer I worked with minor league baseball and gained some experience in advertising and sales, among other things, but nothing on the information side of things. I will be working with a specific sport (not sure as to which one quite yet), plus football as well. As we just had our first football game of the season, I was working during the entire game. Kind of sucks as you miss out on the crowd atmosphere, but it definitely has its perks, as well as gaining crucial experience. During the game, I assisted the SID's (Sports Information Directors) in passing out stats to members of the press during the game. Pretty easy job so far.
During the non-game hours, I am in the office working on whatever tasks need to be completed. This could range from miscellaneous tasks for the SID's, to working on Seminoles.com. Needless to say, I'm very excited for everything this internship will bring.
I'm not anticipating a massive work load due to this internship, but I may be surprised. I only work in the office about 8 hours each week, but including games that I work will be around 14-16 hours each week, depending on the duration of the event.
The only hurdle I anticipate encountering is my lack of knowledge in Sports Information. Other than that, I feel like I will be able to adapt and learn things very quickly.
Ultimately, I would like to have a position in the front office of a professional baseball team, working in either the Human Resources department, or Baseball Operations. Preferably I would like to work my way up the ladder and get a GM position, but everyone knows that is incredibly difficult. To get to that point, I am going to keep working and gaining experience in different fields to make myself a more attractive candidate for any position.
Thanks for reading, and looking forward to this!
Chuck Finley
Hello my fellow classmates! The nick name that you can refer to me as is Brooks. I will be interning in the track and field office under the operation director, learning the ends and outs of what goes on behind the curtains for a University Track team.
ReplyDeleteMy work will consist of about 10-12 hour weeks where I will be doing a lot of busy work planning for races, booking hotels, and organizing files for the track team. I will be shadowing a guy in the office named “Bob”. Bob will show me his everyday job and what it takes to keep up with the track team.
One thing that I would like to get from this internship is for it to broaden my knowledge of everything that takes place off the track and field. A hurdle that worries me while interning here is messing something up, so being very organized and detailed I think will be very crucial to my success.
Ultimately I one day aspire to be a head track and field coach at a major university. This was one of my main reasons for choosing this intern. As a coach I will not only need to know how to coach my athletes physically but I will have to know the ins and outs of what goes on off the track and field.
Some of the things that I will need to get to that point are getting my foot in the door in the coaching realm. As well as completing internships such as this. Also there are future internships that I look forward to hopefully being able to do with in the running and coaching community.
Hope you all enjoy the read,
Brooks
Hey classmates! For this blog you can refer to me as Clint. I am spending this semester working with the FSU marketing department.
ReplyDeleteThis is not my first internship in marketing but my first in sports so I am very excited to see how things are different.
My internship will include me working events, as well as office hours. So far I have only worked one event, which was not sports related. I usually spend around 15-20 hours a week interning.
I hope that this internship opens many doors for me in the athletics department. Working in the office I hope to meet and work closely with people in other departments and expand my network.
A job I would like to have would be to become an Athletic Director at the high school level. I think this internship will help me gain experience that can help me in the future.
To get to that point I think I will need to pursue a Masters degree at the Sports Administration. I'm still trying to decide what school in FL I want go to.
Peace,
Clint
Hello everybody, for this blog i will be referred to as Charles. I currently took an internship with a sport marketing company that works hand in hand with FSU athletics. My main responsibilities are to get sellers for the programs that are sold at all the money revenue sport events, and then oversee the selling of the programs at each event.
ReplyDeleteMy Current workload has been about 15 hours a week with about 10 during the week and then 5 on Saturday during each home football game. I have worked for the past two weeks and am now just starting to get the hang of things.
What I hope this internship will allow me to gain is experience in the business department in an athletic department. I look to meet people from all backgrounds of business in the athletic dept. and hopefully make some connections that will help me in the future.
My dream job would be a CFO of an athletic dept. I do think this internship will help me understand some of the small details needed to run a well oiled athletic dept. What I plan on doing after this internship is to pursue a Masters in either Sports Business or Business administration. I am currently shortening my list of schools I'm interested in at this point.
Hello everyone!!! My "name" is Symoan. My internship is with a local high school cross country team as a coach. This is actually the high school I attended. I am a Tallahassee native.
ReplyDeleteI somewhat walked into this internship. I actually volunteered as a track coach this past spring. The track and field team ended up getting a new head coach and we felt that I could get started earlier this year by coaching with cross country. I found out I could use my coaching as an internship and went for it.
I don't think my workload will be heavy at all. Because I have previous coaching experience, it helps with this new venture. The toughest part of coaching will be dealing with kids and getting the necessary respect a coach needs from them. I'm young and many of them know me from when I ran track there. They don't see me as a coach. That's the hard part about it. I want to be strict, but it seems useless.
I've considered becoming a coach, but I really want to work for USATF, USA Track and Field. I'm a track and field fanatic, however, I have become very interested in the business behind the sport. If I can't work for them, I wouldn't mind a position in facilities and/or events.
Symoan
Hi All! For this blog I will go by the name of "Jac" as this is a nickname my family has called me since I was little.
ReplyDeleteThis semester I will be interning for Seminole IMG Sports Marketing as a Hospitality and Game Day Coordinator Intern. The basic job duties of this internship include helping plan tailgates on game days that will be offered to companies who sponsor FSU Football like Nike, Coke and Suntrust, working these tailgates and making sure all of the sponsors are happy and getting the most out of their donation to the school. I have office hours during the week and work in the mornings until kickoff time on game days. I am hoping that through this internship I will learn a little bit more about how an athletic department works internally. I am also anticipating this internship to serve as a great networking opportunity to meet people within FSU and also outside of the university. I don't think there will be very many hurdles for me to overcome, but I think the hardest thing about this internship would be just getting adjusted to working on game days as I never have done that before.
This internship is great for my resume as I would like to work in the Marketing Office for an athletic team, and IMG deals with sports marketing a lot. I think in order to get the job I would like to have, I need to have a lot of experience as a college student and as a young adult to be able to work up to the point I would like to reach. I have already worked a football game and really enjoyed it, so I am looking forward to the rest of the football season.
Go Noles!
Jac
Hey everyone, my nickname that I will go by for this assignment will be GoJags. I'm currently interning with a marketing department in Tallahassee. I am mostly working with the events that this department puts on.
ReplyDeleteMy workload will vary depending upon the amount of events that the department has scheduled. Events that I will work include sporting events, tailgates, block parties, etc.
I don't believe this will be a difficult internship, but it will certainly provide me with valuable experience in the sport industry. The jobs that I am currently targeting look highly upon internships like these so I want to work as many as possible before the process of applying for jobs begins.
I am currently pursuing a job with the PGA TOUR. I have worked with them for the past 3 summers and have made valuable connections and relationships with executives and managers inside the corporation. I would love to earn my Master's in Business Administration while with the TOUR and it has been a goal of mine for the past few years.
GoJags