Thursday, September 15, 2011

Prompt #2

Talk a little bit about your experience so far. Have you enjoyed your job? Is it what you expected? Are your bosses treating you fairly? Have you encountered a situation you were not prepared for? Do you have any advice for handling awkward situations? Feel free to discuss whatever you want (related to your internship of course).

15 comments:

  1. Hi again. This is "Israel" reporting. I have been working in my Marketing internship for about 3 weeks now. To be honest, i didnt really know what to expect so that question kind of goes out the window. But, with that said, I have enjoyed my internship and not enjoyed it in a few different ways. Ill begin with the latter. The only thing i havent enjoyed is the large amount of physical work/ what we call "internship bitch work". I really have been doing a lot of the dirty work but it has paid off because i have been able to enjoy some cool things. Yesterday i worked the FSU vs UM volleyball game which was televised on ESPN U. It was an amazing experience because i really got to see all the different aspects that go into an event like this. I was also spotted on TV by my roommates but thats another story. I have also had the opportunity to be on the field at Doak because i have been helping set up for the big game on saturday against oklahoma.

    In terms of my bosses, they have been great. They have treated us very fairly and the best part of it all is that they all have been in my position so they know how it feels to be an intern in a new environment. I work primarily for three women and a man named Justin. They are all pretty down to earth and seem to love what they are doing as a career.

    One situation i encountered which i was not prepared for was a pretty minor one. It involved working a womens soccer game where i had a few different elder people come up to me with questions i did not know how to answer. I sensed some anger from them and eventually i found out that they thought i was the booster table. It was funny cause now all the questions they asked make sense but at the time i was really confused. My only advice in situations like this is to stay composed and try and handle the situation in the most calm way possible. Dont show that you are flustered or confused.

    Overall, i have had my ups and downs about the internship but i feel like this is something that i could see myself doing in the future. Not the intern work per say, but the whole atmosphere in general. I look forward to see what else lies in store for me in this job and hopefully it will take me to more new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again everyone, Chuck Finley here. I certainly have enjoyed my job so far. I've been able to experience quite a few different things, from working in the press box during the football game, to proofing articles for publish on Seminoles.com and different game guides. I also have submitted schedules of the basketball teams to NCAA, so that was a unique experience.

    Just like "Israel", I can not comment on if this is what I expected, as I honestly had no idea what to expect. I most certainly have enjoyed my job, and expect that it will only get better as I get more comfortable in my position. I have been assigned to work with football (as every other intern does as well), baseball, and women's soccer. This is perfect for me, as I was hoping to work with baseball, and women's soccer was my third choice as well.

    My bosses are very reasonable and produce an enjoyable atmosphere to work in. During normal office hours, I complete whatever tasks are needed for my head supervisor first, then if they don't need anything, I go around to the other SID's to see if I can help them out with anything. All of them have a unique personality, however all treat the interns with respect and care. It really is a nice place to work!

    I really haven't encountered any situation that I was not prepared for. Technically speaking, the entire internship is something I wasn't prepared for as I didn't have any previous experience with Sports Information. However, I just treated it like a class and try to learn as much information as I possibly can, and usually catch on quickly to completing whatever I am working on.

    This is definitely a field I could see myself going into. I would get to work with the sports that I love, interact with the athletes that are competing in those sports, and just enjoy the work that I do as well. Hopefully this internship will open up a doorway for the future for me.

    Thanks for reading,

    Chuck Finley

    ReplyDelete
  3. As of right now I've really enjoyed my time working with my internship. So far I've learned how to deal with people and making the right decisions regarding their needs, not only for myslef and my boss, but for the teams. Sports can be very demanding but if you love it, then you get a better understading on how to handle situations. Right now I am sitting in the background somewhat soaking up the information that floats around me all day, so once my time is needed, I'm hoping that I can be resourceful.

    My boss is awesome, hands down, so I have no complaints about him and as of any awkward situtions, none have come up yet. It's still early in the season so I'm sure once things start picking up a few things might arise, but as of the team and staff, they're pretty good about requests.

    Loving my job,
    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far the few events that I have worked have been great. There have been situations where I have learned something and gained valuable experience, but there have also been times where I feel like I'm doing mindless busy work. No complaints though because all jobs/internships experience some down time.

    My supervisors are great. A lot of them were in the same position I am in now, which helps them monitor what we can and cannot handle. All of my supervisors are relatively young so there are a lot of common topics for us to talk about.

    Really the only semi-awkward situations have been getting to know my co-workers, which lasted only a few minutes. I enjoy the people I work with and it makes the time go by much quicker.

    There are a lot of sacrifices to work in the sports industry as a sports fan because you want to be part of the tailgates and the fan's perspective of the game and event. Sometimes you are required to work instead of enjoy a sporting event, which as been the toughest part to adapt to so far.

    Thanks

    GoJags

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far, So good. I have worked several events already, and have many lined up in the near future. This marketing firm keeps you busy. I am learning alot, how to run promotions for certain events, the time it takes to set-up, run and break down, it really is a full day. I volunteered with them during the summer, so I kind of expected this grind I'm experiencing, but not to this extent. I'm learning a variety of different marketing aspects daily, it's been fun.

    The people I work for/working with are great. They know what needs to be done, they treat everyone with respect, and put you to work, which I think is great. They prepare you of what to expect at every event, so unprepared situations rarely happen. There really has not been any awkward moments between them and me, we kind of already got a feel for one another during the summer, so with-that-said I really don't see any of those moments presenting themselves.

    My co-workers are awesome, they are there, same as me, trying to get as much experience as possible. I'm enjoying what I'm doing, meeting tons of professionals in the business and racking up a lengthy resume in the process. So far, so good.

    Leo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey everyone this is Miguel. I haven't officially started my online journalism internship yet, but I will be starting soon. So far, I have been writing articles and getting used to the website. I have been keeping in touch with my supervisor and he seems like a very cool guy.

    I am really excited to get going and see what kinds of topics or articles they want me to write about. I have heard great things from previous people that have done this internship so I can't wait to get it started!I have not encountered any problems yet so far but I am ready for any challenges that may lie ahead. I hope everyone is enjoying and learning a lot from their internships as well!

    Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far my internship has gone very well. Not only am I having fun working with the sport I love, I have also been learning there are a lot of responsibilities I would have never thought came with the job of coaching. For example, every day these coaches are in the office working from the crack of dawn until the dark of night. I never realized before that they do not just come for practice and stay a couple hours, but that they literally work from 6:00 AM until 8:00 PM, pouring their sweat and tears into their job.

    I have also learned that everyday brings something different. You do not do the same things day in and day out and there are always new things that pop up that you have to adjust to on the run and it certainly keeps you on your toes. The coaching staff has been fantastic in allowing me to see and experience exactly what they go through on a daily basis. I feel as though they have accepted me as a part of the team and I really feel as though I am a major contributor to the program.

    One thing that I have found to be kind of hard to deal with is the fact that I am basically the same age as the players. It is hard to work with a team of people who are the same age as you are and draw a line between being a total professional and being their friend. I find myself sometimes wanting to hang out with the players and joke around when I probably need to be concentrating more on handling my responsibilities. I have gotten much better at identifying that fine line, but at times I still find myself playing when I should be focusing on the task at hand.

    All in all this internship has been a great experience and I cannot wait to see what else is the future is going to bring and what else I will experience and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again!

    So far, so good with everything regarding my internship! I have definitely enjoyed myself in and out of the office. The people I work with are people I consider friends of mine, even outside of work. My boss is still great. This year, I have the opportunity to work under other people in the office, as well as my actual boss. This allows me to see what other employee’s do for the company. Doing tasks that help them get their job done is fun because it is a little different from what I normally do. It is fun getting to know other people around the office.
    Being that I am going on my second year interning in the office, everything (generally) I have been doing has been expected. I do most of the same sort of tasks as I was doing last year. There has been nothing yet so far that I was not prepared for. Luckily, I haven’t experienced any awkward situations. A piece of advice for handling awkward situations would be the same thing I would do outside of an office. Just ask general questions that can get a conversation started. Hopefully, something someone says will trigger a conversation about something you share in common or something that can make the situation not as uncomfortable. Hope everyone is enjoying their experience as much as I am!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello all!

    So far my internship has been really exciting and I'm loving every minute of it. It has really been cool to see how one part of the university prepares for such a huge game, such as FSU vs OU. It was interesting to see all the little things that needed to be done, from how many sodas needed to be purchased for the hospitality tent to where everyone was stationed on game day. I haven't really encountered anything I couldn't handle, but it was pretty stressful before the OU game while we were selling programs. It was the most programs we had to sell so far during the season and it was the most amount of money I've had to handle so far. It just got a little stressful as we were worrying about where everyone was stationed to how many programs to give out to each group, and it really helped me learn to plan ahead. Like I said I'm really enjoying the internship and I can't wait for the upcoming weeks.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone. So far my job as a football equipment manager has been pretty enjoyable. I’ve been working at every practice and in addition I’ve been ball boy for all of our games so far which has been a very cool experience. This job is pretty much what I had expected aside from the fact that the job demands so much physically.
    I would say that my boss is treating us fairly. He realizes the hours and effort we are all putting in and tries to give us a break when necessary. For example when we were required to work later one day my boss ordered us pizza when he realized we hadn’t eaten.
    When you work as an equipment manager you are required to do a lot of things for coaches and players. This means that you are looking after well over a hundred people which can lead to any number of situations. But I do feel that I was prepared for them with the work I have been doing so far. Some of these situations can be awkward so the best advice is to keep it professional even if it is funny because it is still your job to resolve these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My experience with my job has been very positive so far. I am enjoying making different connections, not only inside FSU but also outside with other companies. Hopefully these connections will be useful one day when I am looking for a job. My boss is very fair and treats the interns very well. Whenever she asks us to do something she always makes sure that we are comfortable with the task. This past weekend when we were setting up things were taking longer than expected so all of the interns had to help the ten staff set up tables and chairs. This was something that we were not anticipating to do, so after moving large tables and hundreds of chairs for hours we were all in a pretty bad mood. However after we were done our boss said that she wanted to buy us all gift cards for our hard work. When a situation like this comes up the best thing to do is to stay positive because in the end your hard work will be noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, it's been about 3 weeks now since I've started my internship. It doesn't really seem like a job, but maybe that's because I love what I'm doing (which is coaching by the way). I'm at the high school I attended so it doesn't really feel different to me. It all feels natural, if that, makes sense.

    Although I enjoy what I am doing, I got really frustrated during the second week. There was some confusion as far as communication goes, and it was putting me in an awkward position. I wasn't sure what was going on. I felt bad because my supervisor is also a football coach and I told him I would do my best to handle things so he wouldn't have to be concerned with so much of two sports at the same time. It didn't work out that way. However, he understood the situation and things worked out fine.

    Other than that, I love what I'm doing which is obvious because I've said it twice now. It isn't want I expected because somehow I've become the conditioning coach for the boys boys' basketball team. The girls we had that were using this time to do some off season training got into trouble so they can no longer participate. Working with a bunch of teenage boys being a college aged female... well I'm sure you can figure out what I deal with on a daily basis. They are respectful though, just slightly obnoxious. I do believe it will help me change how I coach. Coaching girls and boys is much different.

    That's about it for now...

    Symoan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey guys so far I have been working at my internship for 3 weeks now and I am having a lot of fun.

    At first I didn't know what to expect when I started working and thankfully things have been a lot of fun. I really enjoy working the concerts we set up before the home football games.

    I feel like my bosses treat all the interns equally and they are very fun to work with because they are all young in age.

    I have not run into a situation where I was unsure of what to do and I feel very fortunate because of it.

    Working to set up the OU game was quite a busy week in the marketing office. We had to unload 60,000 of the Sports Illustrated magazines that were passed out around the stadium. We also had pom-poms to distribute.

    Right now in the office it is slow because we have a lot of time off before our next home game so this week was a much needed break after the hassles of last week.

    Talk to you later,

    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey guys the site finally let me post after it wouldn't for some reason. Things are going pretty good in the football office, My only complaint as weird as it sounds is I wish I could get more hours in the office. I have really seen my position change from the summer when I was needed almost everyday to an almost on call type of position since the season has started. Nonetheless I love every day I am able to contribute and work and sacrafice alot of free time to be able to do so.My only advice would be to anyone getting a start with a program is to make yourself as available as possible. Being able to come to the aid of your boss in a last minute circumstance build trust and a firme relationship

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first two weeks have been very enjoyable. My colleges at this intern are all very enjoyable to be around and easy to work with. I have already gone on a variety of missions and done projects that I knew I might be doing. As well a small job that kind of caught me off guard but I was able to adapt and seemed to have not upset the boss too much.
    “Bob” my boss has been very fair to the amount of work he has given me. Each day I work Bob has me do minor jobs for him, which has helped me to build a little daily routine and rhythm around the office. My bosses’ treat me very fairly; as I explained above they have not seemed to have worked me to hard thus far.
    I have yet to have an awkward moment in the office where I have screwed up or upset someone. I do have some advice for awkward situations and that is to just keep your cool when something bad may happen. Do your best not to let it happen again and the next time just double check whatever it is that you are doing. It is better to have lost a little bit of time and have the job done right, then to have rushed it and have made a huge mess for everyone. I look forward to working here for the rest of the semester and am ready for anything that is thrown my way!

    ReplyDelete