Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Introduction Post

Welcome to the course blog. For the first post, I would like you to simply tell the class about your internship and provide a little background about yourself. What do you anticipate doing? Why did you want to do this internship? Is this internship something you anticipate wanting to do long term, or are you just looking to get some experience and perhaps a proverbial "foot in the door?" What are your long term goals? Are you getting paid or not? Do you think interns should be paid and why? And include anything else you would like.

If someone posts something you find interesting, please use this forum to converse back and forth. Be as open, courteous, and honest as possible.

19 comments:

  1. Hey guys!

    I’m a girl who loves sports and have played them my whole life. The sport I love to participant in the most would be volleyball but I love watching college football and college basketball. Of course I’m a fan of our FSU teams because I currently work with out men’s and women’s basketball team. The internship that I obtained is through equipment and I am very lucky to have found this position. I am able to work one on one with the coaches and players and have enjoyed every minute of it. I expect to be doing most of the dirty work and making sure that everyone’s needs are met when it comes to laundry and equipment. The cool part to this gig is the fact that we get to work with Nike and be able to go inside the world of an amazing company. In the end, I would love to end up at Nike so I hope this internship can lead me down that path. As of right not I am getting paid and have been very blessed to be given this opportunity. The way I see it is if these athletes are able to put their time and dedication into something they love, then I can put my time and dedication into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicago is where I call home. I am going to be graduating in April! I plan to move to Atlanta when I graduate, and hopefully find a job there before I do that. I want to work in event planning or community relations. I am doing my internship with the Florida State ticket office. I have been working for them at events for almost a year and a half now. However, the internship allows me to work in the office where I am on the phones and selling tickets. This is exactly what I anticipate doing for my internship. I hope to gain more experience in ticketing with selling and customer service. I wanted to do this internship because I have been working for them for a while and to see the other side of ticketing that I haven't experienced. This is more of just a foot in the door experience. Even though, I wouldn't mind getting a ticketing job right out of school, but I do not see myself doing it for the rest of my life. My long term goal is to end up with a professional sport team. I also want to love going to work and not feel as if it is work to me. Yes I am getting paid because I have been working with them for such a long time. I think interns should get paid after so long or until they prove they are doing good work. I also think though that interning is a great way to start your career so maybe it is worth it to not get paid.


    -LC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey everyone,
    I am from Pensacola, Fl, although i moved to Tallahassee my senior year of high school and have been a nole ever since. Hopefully i will be graduating this summer, and I still looking for something to do after i graduate. Anyway my internship is coaching baseball at a local high school, Maclay, and i am really excited about it because i have loved and played baseball my entire life. I have always thought about coaching but was never really sure if it was something i wanted to do for a career, so i hoping this internship will help me to decide if it is something i would like to do long term. i think i will be mostly throwing batting practice and hitting fungos being one of the younger people on the coaching staff, other than that I plan on spending as much time around the field as possible. Fortunately for me I am being paid, but high school coaches don't really get paid a whole lot, but this is something i would gladly do for free, so it is all an added bonus for me. I am really excited about the internship and i think my team is going to have a great baseball season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    I am from Palm Harbor, FL which is near Tampa. I played college baseball at St. Petersburg College before transferring to Florida State 2 years ago. After this semester I will graduate and hope to obtain a job in the golf industry. The internship I am doing is with the men's and women's golf teams. Both teams operate under one "umbrella" and I am in charge of taking over the social media sites such as twitter and facebook. Another one of my responsibilities is helping the men's golf team organize and plan their tournament in March. I hope to get my foot in the door with this internship and make some great contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey all,
    I call Panama City Beach home for now and will be moving to Cary, NC in the near future after the sale of my home. I spent twenty-one years in the military and thought it was time to earn a degree in something I am passionate about. This is my second internship and I will assist a MLB team with scouting. Short term goal is to work as a scout in the southeast and the long term goal is to move into a front office w/ a MLB team. I wanted to do this internship to get my foot in the door and start from the ground up. This internship is unpaid but has some possible benefits. As far as an intern getting paid or not, it really all depends on the company. The experience that an intern receives plays a huge role in the development of the student. Remember it is how you apply yourself during the internship; don't get caught up in the "lazy intern" syndrome. Always ask for work, ask questions, pick the brains of the people around you and most of all find a mentor that will groom you. OK, sorry I'll get of my soapbox. This is a great opp to apply yourself to see what you really want to do. Oh, one other thing, NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, my nickname will be student 20 because it is what i have it set from last semester. My name is Ari Moore and i am from Boca Raton. My family is entirely Israeli and i speak fluent hebrew. I am a miami fan in every sport and i look forward to my new internship. This semester i will be creating a sports blog for an IT company in south florida. The goal is to try to get enough of a following so Rounds Up, the comapny, can create ads for the blog to generate money. I am one of 5 people working on different projects for them to see what kind of sites they can use to create a bigger following for them. It really is a work in progress and there are no guarantees that they will actually use my blog. Along with the blog, i will be using an online software that allows Tal, my boss, to work with me for a few hours a week on designing websites. I will merely be learning the basics and will also be learning from some of his employees, not just him. My main goal with this internship is to try sports writing and see if it is something i can get into. I have always wondered about it and this gives me the opportunity to do that. I am not getting paid but i do think that some internships deserve pay. This specific one does not because it is not a lot of labor involved but my other internship i am also doing deserves pay, but we are not paid which is a shame. My long term goal is to work in a professional soccer organization but i am not sure exactly in what part. I look forward to reaching my goals and hope to reach them in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    I am from Oviedo, right outside of Orlando. I played lacrosse all through high school. I am a middle child between two boys who grew up playing sports of all kind. I am junior and will graduate next spring. My goal is to work in the marketing office of a Division-1 athletic program. My internship is in the Seminole Sports Marketing office. I expect to be doing a lot of grunt work at events in order to prepare for games. As well as working events I work two days a week in the marketing office. While in the office I expect to be doing a lot of prep work, poster distribution for spring sports, and getting ready for big upcoming events. I wanted to do this internship because I love sports and wanted to get involved in making FSU fans experience that much greater. I am getting paid in experience; hopefully this internship will help me get a job in a Division-1 athletic marketing office. I have mixed feeling on paid internships. This past summer I had a paid internship and when I calculated the amount I worked compared to my salary I made around two dollars an hour. With my current internship I am gaining a great deal of experience and learning a lot. I look forward to this semester and learning a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I am a senior from Jupiter graduating this semester. I played all types of sports growing up including baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and even hockey. I am the oldest of two and a huge fan of the FSU, Braves, Falcons, Florida Panthers, and Heat. My internship is for facilities in the Athletic Dept. I did the same thing last semester and really enjoyed my time. I anticipate helping setting up events, moving items between the facilities, fixing any small issues with the facilities, and also working any sporting events as needed. I wanted to work in this department because I really enjoy working events and maintaining the care of facilities. I did this because I would like to work in facility and event management as a full time job one day. My long term goal is to be the director of facilities or operations or even an AD. Last semester I did not get paid, and still don't as of now but expect to soon. I believe that interns should get paid because a lot of the time we do the jobs no one else wants to, and we put a lot of hours into it as well as going to class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings all, I am senior sport management and finance major here at FSU. I have aspirations in being financial advisor for athletes. My motivation for picking career path is because athletes come straight out college with no knowledge on how to manage their money. Next thing you know they are filing for Chapter 11. Being that I am from Miami, I am a huge fan of all my home teams (Heat, Dolphins, Marlins, and even the Hurricanes, when they don;t play the FSU). For my internship this semester I am working the football recruiting department and it is not a paid internship. I chose to work for recruiting because I really wanted know how things work behind the scenes of college recruiting. I really do not anticipate doing this past this semester because I really do not like how things are operated in college athletics, I'm this because its a great way to get my foot in the door in the sports world. I'm working about 24 hours a week but its all voluntary because I actually enjoy hanging around these coaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have proofread before posting. Sorry guys.

      Delete
  10. Morning! As a junior at FSU in the Sport Management program, I acquired an internship at the local Gold's Gym on West Pensacola for marketing/sales/ promoting and it is a paid internship. I wanted to gain more knowledge and experience in the marketing and promoting side since it will help provide me with adequate experience in a professional environment. I anticipate after graduation to obtain an internship or a job with some sort of professional sport organization. However, if that doesn't pan out, I will continue onto my Masters in Sport Psychology. I wanted to do this internship since it will give me the entry level basics on marketing and effectiveness if I choose to go that route with sport management and helping to get my feet a little wet so I do have some experience in marketing upon graduation.
    I think internships should be paid if the company can afford it or also depending on demand of the internship they could have students beating down their door to get an internship, they are most likely not going to be paying. This is good on their part, from a business stand point- tons of willing, unpaid students to work for free? Why not. It sucks if they arent paid, because we could all use the money going through school, but it they're not, its probably a great internship anyways and you will gain a lot of experience and contacts from it anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Tim Meyer and I am interning with Next Level Baseball. I played football, basketball, and tennis in high school. I love all kinds of sports but I will never say that on a job application. At my internship I have been making phone calls to families trying to get their children to come get lessons. I have also gone to different baseball parks to talk to parents about summer camps. I look at this internship as a foot in the door of the sports world. It is also good networking because all of the men who work there have played professional basbeball. My boss has talked to me about getting paid for extra hours that I work. I do not think that all interns should be paid though. The work you do is easy and it is supposed to be for expierience. Hopefully this internship will help me get a job with a professional baseball team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everyone! Sorry about the delay, but I could not get this thing to work on my work computer. I am a senior at FSU currently interning my last semester in Atlanta, Georgia for the Atlanta Hawks NBA team. I am interning in the Service/Retention and Service and Seating departments. I deal with season ticket holders and their ticket issues and have so far learned how to exchange tickets. My internship is not paid but I am living in my grandparents house, so it is not too bad. I get my own free parking in the garage across the street and I also get 4 free tickets to every home game. Realistically this is a sales internship, which is something I have never dealt with or even considered, however it is experience and I think it will lead me to find if I enjoy this part of the sports industry or not. Prior to this internship I was a student manager for the FSU women's basketball team. That was a lot different because if helped in the actual practices and games and was very close to the team and coaches. That was more of what I want to do long term. So far sales seems to be the opposite of what I want to do... and yes, I believe internships should be paid when you work 8:30-5:30, and every home game, like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Everybody! I'm in my last semester here at FSU, and could not be more excited. Last Spring I interned for the Seminole Boosters, and this Spring I am interning for a sport-fishing luxury resort in Costa Rica called Osa Resort Club. They also have another property in Costa Rica call San Buenas Golf Resort and Spa that I'll be working with. From what information I have been given, I will be doing everything from booking trips and charter boats to creating marketing materials, resort wear, and even a loose business plan to send to investors and prestigious international resort owners. This internship, although not your normal football or basketball internship, attracted my attention because it was a balance between hospitality and sports that I felt I could learn a great deal from. I think this could be a great opportunity for me to learn whether I would like to deal more up front in sport operations or more behind the scenes, and also figure out what area I might like to be most involved in. Plus, I am excited to be dealing with an international company as I feel that is an entirely different market with it's own rules of operation to learn about. Although I am not getting paid for this internship, I think it will be an excellent opportunity to build a strong foundation for my portfolio and show some international work right off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are going to live in Costa Rica? How did you find out about this?

      Delete
  14. Hello everyone.I have an unpaid internship with a high school baseball program and head coach. My duties include lots of field maintenance and scheduling.The head coach is also a Dixie USA coach and deals with lining up players for that team. I hope to gain a lot of experience and a better understanding of his position. I expect to work in a similar position after graduation. I spend most Friday afternoons and weekends at the facility. The hours are long, but it has been very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete