Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Post #5

As your internships finish up, consider the feelings you have had during the semester? Did you struggle to balance work and class? What emotions do you go through on a daily basis? Do you ever get overwhelmed by everything? Along that same vein, how would you rate your experience? More positive than negative? Provide a sort of synopsis of your life over the past four months.

14 comments:

  1. I never struggled to balance work and class. It was a close a few times with parking on campus but for the most part I did a good job of balancing the two of them. For some reason I never feel overwhelmed by anything or I haven't in my life. I always meet my deadlines with ease because I always try and make sure I am ahead of the game whenever I have free time. My experience with this internship was completely Positive and I would not have changed anything these last four months.
    My last four months my life has completely changed in a positive way. I wake up early now, have more energy, and I am excited each day when I wake up. My grades have improved significantly and I have lost 25 pounds. This internship was exactly the thing I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am graduating this semester and I five classes and an internship. I have had a few weeks that were tough, but overall things were manageable. I didn’t work at all, other than the internship. I think that helped a great deal. I enjoyed the time with the baseball program and really learned a lot about dealing with players, subordinate staff, and parents. Looking back, I would have enjoyed the challenge of something less familiar. A summer internship, when you aren’t also focused on classes, would also have been easier. All in all, it was a great experience and I am glad to have been a part of the season. The staff made me feel part of the coaching team and offered me many opportunities to participate. The time also allowed me to better define my short term and long term goals. Internships are an important part of the education process and allow students a chance to network and apply the skills they learned in class.

      Delete
  2. I was lucky to have an internship that never really disrupted my balance between the work i had to do and school. I had the ability to do everything from a computer which made that a possibility and i loved that aspect because it is something i always wanted to work with; the internet and sports writing. My emotions were always happy when i had to write a new entry because i loved writing about sports. I was never overwhelmed with the blog i was only overwhelmed with the web design seminars we did on the internet. For some reason the Internets design and set up does not click in my head. I have trouble visualizing it and that made it difficult for Tal to teach me. My overall experience was great. I loved working under Tal and i loved expressing my opinion about sport on a blog.
    The last 4 months for me have involved a lot of class, my internship with seminole sports marketing and my blog internship. I loved all 3, except for my exams and i felt like i really got the experience i was looking for this semester. I too have lost 25 pounds this semester which has been great for me and I have really enjoyed my 2nd to last semester at FSU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that my internship has worked quite well with my class schedule. My boss has allowed me to come in right after school, which I take classes in the morning, because he understands that I do have my education to complete. It also works out because the athletes don’t come in until the afternoon as well also because of school. The emotions that I go through on a daily basis have been one of excitement and wanting to learn. There is never a day when I step into this office and is not excited about something, or wanting to do more. I have had great experiences with each person on the staff and have learned a lot by just observing. I can say that I have not been overwhelmed because in this position you only have to take care of one aspect of the business and because I have been taught so well, I am able to be good at what I do. Overall, my experience has been a positive one and am hoping to continue to work here at this internship for a longer period of time. These four months have given me new relationships and better insight on what to expect with sport and has also been a tool for me to grow in certain areas. I have enjoyed every second of it and wouldn’t trade it for anything and can say that I have learned a lot and hope to do so over the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The semester has been up and down. Sometimes I am really excited to go to work, but other times I feel burnt out. It is hard working with sports when sometimes there are four or five games a week that you need to attend. I am used to working along with classes so it didn't make a difference to me and I stayed ahead of my classes. On a daily basis, I am mostly excited to come to work, but sometimes I just can't deal with it. It is hard to stay motivated during certain times of the job such as when you are really busy or when you get someone yelling at you on the phone. Sometimes I did get overwhelmed with everything between the internship and school, but it was only for a short period of time. It was sometimes hard working ten hours a week in the office plus basketball and baseball games that were 4 or 5 hour shifts. Overall, my experience was more positive than negative. I learned a lot about the sport industry and also helped my networking with all the people I worked with. I truly loved the experience I got with the FSU Ticket Office, It it was a great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the end of the semester approaches, I realize I was capable of balancing and prioritizing work and school. On a daily basis, I was attending class, working, or both. Since this can be stressful, I am sure to workout to help relieve some stress. I also have the calendar that I enter daily tasks to help me stay organized and keep my priorities straight. I don’t allow myself to be overwhelmed by having a schedule and staying organized. I also pray if I begin to get stressed or feel overwhelmed, and take a break to rethink the situation I’m in. I rate my overall experience a 8. I gained knowledge of marketing and was able to network. My internship has been, without a doubt, more positive than negative.

    Synopsis of my practicum duties:
    • Responsible for promoting and selling memberships to potential new members and selling renewals/upgrades to current gym members
    • Daily duties include: generating sales through walk-ins and TI’s (telephone inquires), required to maintain accurate records, use Gold’s Gym sales systems to conduct follow-ups on all prospects, as well as presenting gym facility tours.
    • Weekly, it is mandatory that all sales/marketing staff set at least 10 prospective gym membership appointments
    • Monthly, we are required to attend sales training meetings and I am to reach my individual goal, which ultimately contributes to the overall monthly club goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been a long 4 months in Atlanta. My experience has made me stronger mentally, and I feel myself being more and more patience. I cannot imagine how difficult it would have been if I was still taking course classes, but thankfully I was here to solely focus on the Atlanta Hawks organization itself. I experienced every possible emotion and mood during this internship. There were days I could not wait to get to work, and others when all I wanted to do was call in sick, even if I wasn’t. I understand now that I am not meant to work in a cubicle or in an office where I sit for hours straight. Honestly, I did not expect this period to be a walk in the park, or even for everyone to be nice, but there were some “housecleaning” projects that overwhelmed me. After the other intern in my department left it put a lot of pressure on me to perform every task correctly and quickly. The pressure was good for me because I stepped up and actually taught myself how to do things. I relied on myself to be successful and couldn’t hide behind someone else’s shadow. However it wasn’t easy watch interns in other departments take days off, come in late, or take spring break, because there were two interns to divide the time and the tasks. The amount of time I put into my internship was more than I ever expected. I wish I could have explored Atlanta more and actually had time to enjoy the location, but working 50 to 60 hours a week did not allow that pleasure.
    If I were to rate this internship 1-10, 10 being the greatest thing that ever happened to me, I would say a 7. The organization is amazing, most of the people were a pleasure to work with, and the experience was one of kind. However, I feel like my department rushed to fill their intern void, did not plan accurately for the interns projects, and sometimes disregarded my experience for their work deadlines. I completely understand that employees are busy and have their own ends to meet, but as an intern forgoing my senior semester, I expect the employer to be prepared for the internship as well. Many things I learned will carry on throughout my future and I am thankful for the time I have had to learn more about myself and what I wish to do for my future. I am happy I was chosen as an intern for the Atlanta Hawks and would recommend anyone dedicated enough to the sports industry to apply. The best part about being here was being able to give my friends and families tickets to the Hawks games, as it was some of their first NBA experiences ever. This internship taught me countless lessons about being a professional and to always strive for the best of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the semester is coming to an end, so does my internship. I have enjoyed my time as an intern and felt that I have learned a lot about college athletics. I did not have difficulty balancing school and work; it was only difficult when I procrastinated. There were times when I had downtime in the office and so I would try and get my school work done then. I would not say that I was over whelmed by the internship but there were weeks during the semester that I worked four events that week and was just busier than normal week when I work only two events. I did not experience different emotions from my normal day to day emotions. Yes, there were some days that I wished I could not go to the office for the afternoon and sit at a cubicle, especially when sports are starting to wind down and there is not a lot of tasks for the interns to do. I would rate my experience a positive one. I learned a lot and was involved making the fan experiences at FSU a positive one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Overall, it has been a pleasure to work my internship this semester. Taking it as a class really helped me balance out my work and class schedule. It was always a pleasure walking into my office ready to get to work. I feel like I have grown a lot as an individual and being able to take advantage of this class has helped me take on extra challenges. I never felt overwhelmed in my work I was always ready to take on new responsibilities and attempt what was asked of me. I think being able to work in my internship with the Women’s Basketball team has helped me grow professionally in lieu to a eventual sports career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My internship has been pretty eventful towards the end. It became difficult to balance class and work because my responsibilities at my internship became much more important. An incident that occur between two other coaches that I was working worth, one of which was the head coach, but because of this incident the head coach was suspended and the other coach resigned, leaving myself and another coach responsible for the team as we prepare for our district tournament. My experience over the past two weeks has gone much more in depth in running the program than I ever thought I would this spring. I would not say that the experience has been over whelming but it has been challenging, motivating kids while adults are causing unnecessary drama around them and taking their focus away from baseball. The whole experience has been both positive and negative. Of course your boss being accused of battery and arrested is more negative, but the kids and family still want to play baseball and parents have been very supportive, so I would say that experience has been positive. The school’s Athletic Director has been supportive and helped myself and the other coach run the program. Also just being out and playing baseball has been helpful for me. While it’s been difficult to balance work and school and friends and family, coaching baseball has become an outlet to get rid of stress from school and life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, I did struggle at times to balance work and class. I wanted to be fully committed and give 100 percent to the internship but found myself concerned about other course work. My internship requires a lot of self organization, research, travel, and evaluation. Then after evaluating a player you must paint a picture in a scouting report. I did fell overwhelmed at times but had to set priorities, goals, and objectives to complete during the week and month. I truly enjoyed my experience this semester but wish I could have devoted more time to the internship. This was a positive learning experience and one that will help me in the future.
    Synopsis of my internship duties and responsibilities:
    • Researched players to be scouted and evaluated
    • Networked with area coaches to verify pitching rotations
    • Responsible for scouting junior college players from five different schools in the Florida Panhandle Conference
    • Coverage area consisted of Pensacola to Tallahassee and all points in between
    • Normally scouted games on Monday, Friday, and Saturday
    • Completed scouting reports on players
    • Reported on other scouts that were in attendance

    ReplyDelete
  11. Balancing my class load and internship was not a problem what so ever. The people I was working with understood that I was a student first and was very lenient in letting do my homework while I was there. Honestly, I could not wait for every Monday, Wednesday, or Friday to come into my internship because I just loved being around this atmosphere. Everybody was welcoming and was willing to give me a hand whenever I needed. If I was to rate my internship I would give it a 10 out of 10. Even though it may have been a lot of secretarial work I did gain a great deal of knowledge that I could utilize beyond my collegiate career.
    Here is a synopsis of my internship duties and responsibilities:
    -Update prospect information into our recruiting database
    -Organize mail out to prospects
    -write out envelopes to prospects
    -Give tours to prospects
    -Assist in designing mail outs to prospects

    ReplyDelete
  12. My internship experience this semester was incomparable to any other "work" experience. It was a dream come true. I had a great and understanding supervisor, an organization who understood how to use my position as an intern for not only their gain- but mine as well; and I think that is the importance of and secret to great internships. I did not struggle to balance work and class, but I did work hard in order to not struggle. Being organized gave me a great advantage since most of this internships projects dealt with international relations. I did not get overwhelmed over the course of the semester, but the feeling has crept in this past week while preparing to close the FSU chapter of my life and figure out life after graduation. I felt a sense of urgency on a day to day basis wanting to perform my best for this organization, but not in a negative way- I like to think of it as extremely motivated. I never felt apprehensive about asking questions or for clarification on something because it was a comfortable environment and I feel that it is better to ask first rather than do then ask and waste everyone's time and resources. I'm thankful for being able to learn in a comfortable environment because that was NOT the case in my last internship setting. Over the past 4 months, I can honestly say I've learned at least 3 new things every day from this internship...and some days? it has been much more. I'm excited for what this opportunity has contributed to the foundation of my future and cannot wait to apply what I have learned. It has been a great, positive work experience to bring my years here at FSU to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This semester I took five courses, worked at my internship and worked at my other job. At times that was hard because I would have all three in one day. I knew that this was only helping me so I never let all the work affect me. I was just really tired a lot of days. My emotions did not change from day to day. I found myself always looking forward to my day. Although a couple days in the middle of the semester were tough because I had so much work to do. The one good thing about my internship was that they were extremely understanding when it came to school. Sometimes they would let me leave a little early if there was no work to be done and I needed to study for a test. If I had to rate my internship on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it an 8. There was never a lot of work to do but the people I got to work with made the experience great. The work was also fun because I got to work with children and help teach them the game of baseball.

    ReplyDelete