Thursday, June 7, 2012

Post #2


Talk a little bit about your experience so far. Have you enjoyed your job? Is it what you expected? Are your bosses treating you fairly? Have you encountered a situation you were not prepared for? Do you have any advice for handling awkward situations? Feel free to discuss whatever you want (related to your internship of course). Also, feel free to ask me any questions you may have that you think might benefit the entire group.

17 comments:

  1. My experience so far has been okay. I have been rotating around to the different departments of Tallahassee Parks and Recreation and to be honest some of the departments do not even seem to have an idea of what to do with me. It really has not been at all what I expected. I feel as if the centers I have been rotating to really do not have much work for me. I do not feel I have gotten much of a practical experience out of them so far. However, I did help organize a Cal Ripken baseball tournament the previous weekend and that was very organized and I did feel like I got something out of that. My bosses are treating me very well. The only negative is that sometimes I feel like they have no use for me. The only awkward situation I have ran into so far is me sitting and waiting until I had a job to do or someone to inform me about something. The way I handled this situation was by waiting patiently while looking eager to do something. I am still rotating departments until I am back with the athletics and special events departments full time in a few weeks. I look forward to this period of time and hope that I will encounter a lot more learning and things to do. I am still optimistic there is some valuable experience to be gained somewhere down the line. Until then, I will just try to do as best I can to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my experience thus far with the team. It has been eye opening and patience testing at times. I never thought it would be so difficult and frustrating to coach a group of 14-18 year olds. Coaching them has made me realize how frustrating and immature I was when I was their age and how I probably made my coaches life a living hell. I’ve learned that you can’t let your athletes walk over you but you also have to give them a little space because if not they’ll just leave the team. You must give them the adequate respect and they have to be able to give you the same amount of respect back. If respect isn’t a two-way street then the relationship will fail and thus the athlete will not get the most out of his workout. I had forgotten what it was like to be amongst a group of solely young men, there’s a lot of machismo in a group of 30 young men. This all being said, I was not expecting it to be as challenging as it has been but I welcome the challenges and look forward to them. I’m being treated very fairly by my bosses and they’ve been receptive to my ideas and suggestions as well. Thankfully, I haven’t encountered any situation that I wasn’t prepared for but I’m sure it will happen sometime. When handling awkward situations my suggestion is DON’T BE AWKWARD. If you show the other parties that you feel awkward because of the situation then it will be even worse. Be yourself and admit when you’re wrong and get past it. All in all I’m pleased with my performance. As the weeks go on I start to learn a little more from all my athletes and I hope they’re getting more comfortable with me as well. Early Saturday morning practices are miserable but I suppose that is just the nature of training a high caliber cross-country team. I hope everyone’s internship is going great!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far my experience with CBS Atlanta has been FANTASTIC! I have had so many different opportunities to do things and meet people that many can only dream of. For instance, this past week I had the opportunity to head out to Flowery Branch, Georgia, home to the Atlanta Falcon's practice facility. CBS tasked me with interviewing Coach Mike Smith during their Organized Team Activities (OTA's), as well as quarterback Matt Ryan and prolific receiver Julio Jones. My favorite moment came when I had the chance to interview newly acquired Falcon Asante Samuel! The guy is cut-up and jokester, and after talking with him I realized that the team is going to positively feed off his attitude. My job and the experience that comes with it has been great. I never imagined that these were the kind of opportunities that awaited me. CBS informed me just this past week that they want to start using me for more talent opportunities, which means I could be seeing a huge increase in camera time. The most awkward and unusual situation I've run into at CBS is that one of the employees went through a sex change and just recently started work again, turning themselves from a he to a she. At first, it was a tad bit awkward. Then I realized that she is just another human trying to do her job, and I had to move on a do mine. I have found that an awkward situation must be handled with maturity. Without maturity, the situation may become more difficult to handle, resulting in even more awkward situations. For the rest of my internship, I will continue to produce CBS SportsLine. Within the next month, we will also start to gear up for another CBS sports show, Face to Face. That show will involve the interview of prominent athletes in the Atlanta area. Other than that, that's all I have to report on! I hope everyone is enjoying their respective internship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far my internship has been excellent! The team I am assisting is basically starting there program. The high school has never had much success in basketball and my boss took over the program just a year ago. It is a great experience to watch him basically build a program from the ground up. I was expecting to kinda be in the background and not be very busy however I was completely wrong. My boss has me mentoring his young point guard as well as correcting players and giving teaching points when players come off the floor. It is great experience interacting with kids and giving tips on how to play basketball. I have been treated more than fairly by my boss, he even took me out for my 21st birthday! I was not prepared to deal with immaturity as much as I have dealt with it. How quickly I forgot how I acted when I was 15 or 16. My only awkward situations have arrived when meeting new coaches. I am not exactly sure what to talk about and I get a little intimidated. However, I have learned to introduce myself, tell them a little about what I am doing, and then follow up by asking about their program and coaching history. So far this has been a wonderful learning experience and a lot of fun. I hope everyone else is enjoying their internship as much as I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your name (cheesehead12) made me laugh. Glad you are enjoying your internship!

      Delete
  5. So far my experience at AAU had been good. I am relatively busy everyday preparing for all the upcoming tournaments. My experience thus far has been what I expected, I expected to be doing a lot for upcoming tournaments – making sure that all the teams have filled out the correct paperwork in order to compete and contacting them if they have not submitted. I have only worked at one registration so far and had one coach talk to me in a rude tone, but I would say that I was prepared for that since not all coaches have an idea as to what is going on. My bosses are treating me fairly. Everyone in the office is always willing to help. As for awkward situations, I have not encountered any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My experience with GameTime Travel has been an extremely positive one! I really enjoy my time there. I think this is largely due to the people. The people that I have been directly working with have been excellent. They have prepared me for phone calls, walked me through the system, and have a 'no question is a dumb question' policy. Because of their superb training and support I have felt very well prepared for every task. Confidence is key in a customer service position! My communication skills are improving and I have a handle on their computer technology. My only hesitation is the relationship with upper management. The people I work with on an immediate basis are great, but there seems to be a tension between the employees and the management. I have witnessed some miscommunications and some confusion among the two groups. Although they seem polite, I am not sure the heads of the company are what I would look for in future bosses. My question is do the helpful coworkers and exciting tasks make up for poor management? Other than that the only other tough part is the 30 minute commute. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really enjoyed my experience so far. I am disappointed that the Magic have left the playoffs which would have led me to more hands on experiences. There are some days that go by slow but the people I work with have been very nice and helpful. My bosses are treating me fairly. I can tell they get frustrated with the amount of interns in the office at once but that is their fault for hiring so many lol.I have been prepared for my situations and feel confident for anything that may happen. The only small thing that has happened was someone tried to put a microphone on me not knowing I was the intern to help. I handled it well and it has become the funny joke in the office.
    One really awkward situation was that the boss of everyone was trying to express changes in the company and no-one agreed on the changes which heated into an argument and the boss getting escorted out and quitting his job. It was definitely an awkward tension in the office for a little bit. Everything seems to be o.k. now except for the fact his office is still empty.
    Other than that I have been happy with my experience and have learned a lot of tips to help me in my adventures into the real world. Hope everyone is having a great learning experience this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thus far my experience has been great! I have enjoyed the opportunity to meet the other newscasters, the reporters, the producers, and media personnel. The media experience of shooting film and shadowing player interviews at local sporting events such as the FSU baseball games has been fun. This job is what I had expected. Although a competitive environment, it is filled with energy. However, it is different than what I expected because I was unable to actually watch the sporting events. Working the game as a broadcaster looking through a camera making sure I have got the video/ film rather than viewing the game as a fan. My bosses have been excellent teachers of the profession demonstrating patience and kindness as I shadow their work.
    So far I have encountered an unexpected situation. However, I have witnessed mishaps within the newsroom such as anchors getting confused on their lines and the cutting of the sports section before it’s completion; these are technically difficulties that any station might encounter. The invaluable lessons that a broadcaster successful are: do not cover mistakes continue onward with the story, find touching stories, refrain from distractive hand gestures while talking, be personable, and make sure to take with interest and enthusiasm to make the story intriguing.
    Professionalism is demonstrated not only by behavior, but also by dress attire; I have learned what you wear to the news station and on the job are very important. A broadcaster must not wear a team logo; impartiality is part of the job. It is unprofessional to wear a polo shirt or shorts, or a revealing blouse with low cut cleavage. It did not occur to me that wearing high heels on the baseball or football field damages the playing surface.
    For my fellow interns, please investigate the professional codes of your job prior to the start of your internship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far everything is going very smoothly and about what I had expected. I am interning in a field that I have been familiar with for 12 years of my life so the transition into the business has been painless so far. My main experiences so far have been at the race weekends. I recently flew to Detroit a few weeks ago and spent five full days there doing various things for the team. I gave a few sponsorship tours, sat in on a few meetings, entertained some potential sponsors, and assisted the drivers in PR related things. All of these things are new to me at the track, however, my previous experience helped me drastically. My boss has been very good to me so far and has really taken the time to show me the ropes. I have known him for 10 years so we have already had a pretty solid relationship prior to the internship, but it has been nice the way he has thrown me into everything and has given me a lot of responsibility. The only situation I felt I was unprepared for so far was the meet and greet tours for the sponsors. My job was to give several tours to groups ranging in 10-30 people throughout the team transporter, office, car, and hospitality. I am very familiar with everything at the track, but presenting everything was definitely new to me. The first tour had a few hiccups, but by the third and fourth tour everything was much smoother. The only advice I might have is be confident in what you are saying and show that you have some good information. I realize that I am only 22 years old and involved with a multi-million dollar racing team, however, with my knowledge and experience they tend to rely on my feedback and thoughts. As long as stay confident in what I am saying and believe in then most take me seriously and value my input. I have also had some experience with reaching out to some sponsors myself. I spend the weeks where we have off from the race track working on potential sponsors. I gather information on these companies, brain storm ways they can benefit from sports car racing, and approach them with our ideas. This is a tough process, but is still good learning for the future. I will be flying to Wisconsin next week and New York the week after that so I will be staying busy most of the summer and feel like I will continue to learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My experience so far with my internship at the Florida State Ticket Office has been great. I am definitely enjoying gaining all of the experience in sales with sport. One of my favorite aspects of this internship is that you never really get the chance to get bored because there is something happening that is new every day. The wide variety of sports and customers makes it interesting. In addition, my supervisors are extremely flexible in regards to scheduling and treat their employees in a fair manner. When it comes to unprepared situations, I have encountered plenty of them. Since there is such a broad range of information to learn here at the office, there is a phone call here or there that I have no idea how to handle. However, it doesn't take long for a coworker of mine to give me the answer and the problem is solved. Awkward situations can easily be avoided when you are surrounded by people who are willing to help you to ease the situation, which in this case I am. Overall, I am truly enjoying working for FSU and hopefully will continue to feel this way. Hope everyone is having a good time at their summer internships also!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far my experience has been interesting and busy. I have traveled to Greensboro, NC to cover the ACC baseball tournament. Then followed that up with coverage at both the NC State regional (Raleigh) and UNC regional (Chapel Hill). Also, I covered a few games during the NCAA Division 2 World Series held at the USA Baseball National Training Center in Cary, NC. So as you can see I have been making my rounds and doing a lot of traveling. It is slow right now but getting ready to ramp back up at the end of the month. I will be covering games for USA Baseball all over the state of North Carolina from June 25th to July 3rd. I have enjoyed my internship so far and it is defiantly what I expected. No, I have not encountered a situation I was not prepared for. That is the name of the game, to be prepared as much as you possibly can. To handle an awkward situation you must not jump to any conclusions and really think things through before you react.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My experiences with Seminole Boosters up until now has been great. The internship is more or less what I expected. As a special assistant for the VP, I spend the majority of my time in the offices working with donor records. I was trained at the Florida State Foundation to operate Raiser's Edge, the database for Seminole Boosters donors, and since then I've been nose deep in donor files. The people there treat me very well, the office is a relaxed enviorment, making it a lot easier to work. I have yet to run into any awkward situations, the position rarely works with people. Even the other interns I work with have been nothing but awesome, other college students just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My experience so far has consisted of sitting in an office and playing around on Adobe Photoshop trying to create things to help market the FSU Kids Club and the football team. I have also been running errands around town whenever asked. It is the summer and since there are no sports going on this is what I expected. I am enjoying it because I get to see what happens on the inside of marketing and how they plan the outside activities during sporting events for FSU. My bosses are treating me fairly, so far I haven’t encountered a situation I wasn’t prepared for. Next week I am going to TCC to sell student football tickets during orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my expirience so far at my internship has been enjoyable. The only thing is that sometimes i get busy work and its really tedious.Mindless work like typing or looking for different6 companies and summarizing them

    ReplyDelete
  15. My experience so far has been wonderful. There hasn't been a situation where I was completely lost and didn't know what to do and the projects that were a little complicated I excelled in. Even if I have difficulties with an assignment, my supervisors are more than willing to help me understand what to do. Even though the experience is great, there are times when the office is completely dry with nothing to do except sit at my desk watching the time dwindle down, other than that there hasn't been any awkward situation or challenges that I can't meet. Amazing experience so far!

    ReplyDelete