Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Final Blog Post Summer 2012


As your internships finish up, consider the feelings you have had during the semester? Did you struggle to balance work and class? What emotions do you go through on a daily basis? Do you ever get overwhelmed by everything? Along that same vein, how would you rate your experience? More positive than negative? Provide a sort of synopsis of your life over the summer. 

17 comments:

  1. It is hard to believe that my internship with CBS Atlanta has just about wrapped up. It seemed like only yesterday that I was going through Orientation at station! Everyday I have woken up to go to work over the past three months, I have always been excited to go into work. Each day brought forth new and exciting ventures for me to partake in, and I took them all in stride. Never did I feel overwhelmed with my internship or second-guess my work. I have had opportunities that others can only dream of, and I know that I have made the most of them. Balancing work and class came quite easy and natural to me. The work for our Sport Management Practicum class was relatively minimal. I planned my schedule ahead of time, and found myself working on the projects weeks before they were due. My time management skills were quite effective over the past couple of months. Each day at CBS Atlanta was just as exciting as the previous one. Meeting sports figures such as Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and veteran Deion Sanders were the highlights of my summer, and I will always cherish those memories. As I said before, I never felt overwhelmed with my work because the atmosphere in the Sports Department is very laid back. That made it a much more enjoyable environment to work in. My experience would be rated as a five-star experience. Working as a Sports Producer was everything and more that I imagined it to be. Looking back there isn't a time when I had a negative experience. All of my time and effort has paid off tremendously, and I look forward to my future endeavors after learning so much from CBS Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience this summer was very different than I expected, yet still full of many great learning opportunities. I knew going into this summer that this was the kind of internship that would change my life. I knew that it was an opportunity that many could only dream of, and so I made sure I would make the most of it each day. However, once I got about two weeks into the job I realized the role I have here is not something I would like to be hired for full-time. It got to the point where I started dreading work and counting down until the weekend. However, about half-way through I realized that even though my actual job is of no interest to me, this is still an incredible opportunity to have this internship, so I needed to have a better attitude. Although I’ve learned a great deal about the Management side of business here, I do not feel that I was given enough training at the start, and by the time I asked all of the questions and finally got a grasp of things the internship was nearly over. That was not what I disliked, however. Instead, it was just the type of work I was doing day to day. During my time here, I’ve been exposed to people who work in many different fields. Some of the people I have met here work in jobs that really interest me and seem to better suit my strengths and skills. I have discovered that I’m more interested in a job that involves creativity, visuals, design and graphics. Instead, my role this summer has been more finance oriented. I know these two areas seem far from related, and that may be so, but at least I was exposed to the areas I am actually interested in. Meeting with these other people has me really excited for a future career in an area I was not thinking about before. That is the benefit of internships I guess. Although I would not rate my experience as high as I originally would have thought, (probably a 3.5 out of 5) it has been a great learning lesson. I would not say that I struggled to manage the balance of work and class as much as I struggled the balance of having several projects going on at a time for my job. Once again though, this has only helped me work on my time-management skills. In the end, at least this internship will play a big role in shaping my future career goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My feelings toward my internship were very mixed. I really did not enjoy it very much nor did I get what I thought I would out of it. I did not have much trouble balancing class and my internship because I only took a speech class the first half of the summer. I was very busy running between my internship and my real job at the Leach Center. I have been doing a lot of hours these last couple of weeks so I have been rather busy. On the events that I worked I would spend much of my day on the weekend there and that was not enjoyable especially since on a few of the occasions I was not really doing anything and was under utilized. My emotions on a daily basis are usually me dreading going to the internship because it has really dragged along and at times I feel I am getting nothing out of it. I usually am underwhelmed, not overwhelmed. There is often not much to do and some of the departments I was rotated to during the internship had nothing to do with sport what so ever, such as the senior center and animal control. I did take from the experience that I do not want to pursue a career in city recreation, so that is a plus. I would rate my experience more positive than negative because I got practical experience, a reference, built my resume, and was granted an opportunity that no other student was so I have to be pleased with those things. I would say this summer was an experience that taught me I do not to work in city recreation and that an experience like this is what you make of it. I learned to organize and run events, I networked, and I learned from a professional who has a Sport Management degree. My supervisor was able to provide insight into my future plans and though I disliked the internship I am glad I chose to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As my internship at AAU finishes up I have had a lot of different feelings during the summer. I expected to work a lot of hours for multiple days in a row, and I did. There were times where I struggled at times, especially when we were very busy, to balance work, class, and a personal life. I usually do not go through different emotions during my work day; I’m usually in a good mood. I did get overwhelmed once- it was the night before basketball registration and I was at my desk until 9:15 pm making sure that the coaches entered in the tournament were all NCAA certified. There were definitely days when I wasn’t at my desk due to an event happening and that made it hard to get things that needed to get done at the office.
    I rate my experience at AAU a great one. I learned more than I could have ever wanted. Also, I got first hand experience in what I hope to do when I finish college. Overall I had a very positive experience. My summer consisted of 8:30 to 5:30 office hours and some nights and weekends when there was a tournament. In the office I would help any of the sport managers get ready for their upcoming events, registration, and some onsite event work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m extremely pleased with my performance in my internship this summer. At times I was extremely annoyed and my patience was run out but that’ll probably happen at any job. I learned to deal with that annoyance quickly and didn’t let it ruin my experience. Balancing work and class wasn’t too bad. I just made sure I was constantly on top of all of my assignments so that I would never get behind. Once I get behind it’s hard for me to catch up. On a daily basis I go through different emotions. Some days I’m very excited to be coaching but others I found it to be a drag that I had to go to practice and listen to the bickering amongst the athletes. I also sometimes felt overwhelmed because of the amount of work I had to do but again, that happens to anyone. I’d rate my experience an 8.5 out of 10. Honestly, I felt like the bickering and immaturity of the athletes was the most frustrating portion of the experience and that’s the only reason why I wouldn’t rate my experience better. My fellow coaches were phenomenal and gave me an experience I will never forget. My life over the summer was completely devoted to my internship and online classes. Practice started at 5:31 PM (:01 is done purposely because the number one is a theme amongst the team). I would get there around 5:00 to make sure water coolers and Gatorade coolers were full. Some of the long, easy runs I’d run with the team and when they had interval workouts I would record their times and act as support for them to keep them motivated. After practice was over I’d clean the coolers and fill the ice tub so the runners could use it. I did this 5 days a week. The 6th day (Saturday) I wouldn’t fill up the ice tub because we usually practiced at Miami Beach or other parks away from the school. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  6. My internship experience with GameTime Travel has given me very conflicting feelings. GameTime has taught be both what to do and what not to do in the professional business. My supervisors know how to run a business and handle situations. Their customer service skills are wonderful and their organizational skills are tremendous. On the other hand, I also met managers who taught me the inappropriate way to manage employees. Throughout the summer I have witnessed the battle between upper management and the employees. I very much disagree with how upper management runs their business, and therefore would not permanently work for them in the future. The internship was not a waste however, because I did learn new things and meet people I would love to work with in the future. Although it may not be through GameTime, I would enjoy working with my direct supervisors and we plan on keeping in touch. Although I have witnessed some negative business practices, the overall experience was positive because I liked what I was doing and most of the people along the way (with the exception of upper management) have been fantastic. It is tough to balance everything, school, work, internship, personal time, but I think my time management skills got me through it. The hardest part for me was the commute of this unpaid internship. The 25-minute drive one way several times a week really took a hit on my gas tank and my wallet! To conclude, any internship is a learning experience and I think I learned a great deal from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going into this internship I knew that I wanted to take everything very seriously so I made sure I had very little additional distractions. I planned on only taking one additional class and cleared the rest of my schedule during the week. Having a career in motorsports can be very stressful and very difficult from time to time so I definitely experienced a lot of stress on a daily basis. At home most of my assignments were sponsorship related so I would spend a lot of time putting together proposals and speaking with current sponsors. These tasks were not very stressful and quite enjoyable. At the track is when the stress really occurred. Some race weekends I would be responsible for over 100 guests and would have to make sure everything went as smooth as possible. We would spend countless hours preparing for the weekends and would still encounter some snags. Even with the stress I still loved every minute of my experience. I love the sport of auto racing and really enjoyed my internship. Sports car racing is such a team effort and I felt like I would very important to the success of the team. I would rate my internship as a 10 out of 10 because of the experience I gained throughout the last several months. Like I mentioned before my life consisted of a lot of at home work throughout the week. I would make a lot of phone calls and would make a lot of sponsorship documents as well. I was able to attend six race weekends during my internship as well. The most recent race weekend was the biggest and it was in Indianapolis with NASCAR. I was responsible for over 100 guests from six different companies. I would give tours, meet and greets, and entertain the guests in just about every way. The weekend finished on a good note as we finished on the podium and celebrated afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going into this internship I was not sure what to expect. Sometimes companies see interns as a burden while others really enjoy the student. I was lucky enough to have a Supervisor who utilized their intern. It was quite easy balance work and class, considering I did not take any other classes. My emotions were a little torn at times because I miss playing basketball. I have only stopped playing basketball for a couple of years, so to watch kids playing the game I love and still having a chance made me want to play again. However, being involved in the game planning and then watching the plan work out on the court it one of the greatest experiences a coach can imagine. I only felt overwhelmed when I was told I was going to head coach a couple games. I was not sure how my supervisor would react if I made a mistake, or if I lost. However, he was extremely supportive and never let me become overwhelmed. I would rate my experience a 10 out of 10. This was one of the most positive experiences of my life. To actually enjoy the one goal in my life was pretty exciting. Balancing work and the internship was probably the hardest part, but good communication was the key to keeping a balanced schedule. All in all this was a fantastic experience and I would not trade it for anything. This will definitely help me in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Over this summer, I have thoroughly enjoyed my internship and am very excited it has turned into an OPS/paid position for the fall semester. In the beginning, my feelings were skeptical since I didn’t really know what to expect from the internship but once it got going, I knew it would be a great experience. On daily basis, my emotions consisted mostly of eagerness and excitement. This job is unpredictable and you really do learn something every day. When it comes to balancing work and class, I didn’t really have much to worry about since this practicum course was my only class this summer to go along with this internship! I anticipate the balance being quite the challenge though once fall classes get under way. Never once did I feel overwhelmed at this internship, probably because the supervisors never gave too much work at one time and were always standing by to help. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate my experience here at the Ticket Office a 9 out of 10. It has been nothing but positive experiences and I hope that they will continue throughout my time working here. In conclusion, my summer life has been an awesome experience and I have learned so many new things. Hopefully, these positive experiences continue and carry over into next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This internship provided me with my first real life work experience. As my only summer school class and with a restricted swim schedule due to my athletic injury, the real world replaced my world as a student-athlete. Although I had to arrange my intern hours around swimming, I was more like a part-time employee. The competitive nature of the broadcasting career combined with the early and late hours being similar to my athletic world caused me to examine my life priorities.

    Although these internships were positive, I personally plan to spend my senior year exploring the possibilities of other career opportunities in my Sport Management major rather than broadcasting. It was positive from the point that I do not want to pursue this career. The competitive nature of the field replaced my fantasy of the glory of the anchorwoman. I am not sure I want the travel involved in a Sports broadcasting career such as ESPN. This excellent experience created a real world examination of my goals professionally and personally. I personally dreaded going to the stations every day. On a scale of one to ten I would rate it as a five.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, this internship was a wonderful 8 out of 10. 180 communications has given me experience I could never find in a textbook or a classroom. At times, “overwhelmed” would be an understatement of the how I was feeling. 180 communications, a local Tallahassee pr firm, really immersed me in the fast pace world of public relations’ social media. I was not treated like a menial intern but an employee with lots, lots of tasks. On a daily basis, I would be learning something new. Whether that was learning how to navigate a new social media site or researching new companies, it was tedious. It would be frustrating, but this experience has definitely been more positive than negative for me. As a paid internship, I will receive a stipend that I very much looking forward too, but honestly I would do this internship if it weren’t paid. My experience was that valuable for me.

    This summer was a summer of growth. In addition to my skills gained at 180 communications, my modeling career was been steadily expanding. I constantly have photo shoots and appearances to make, but all with positive feedback about my performance. I did struggled between keeping a balance between the two but both have made me a more fast-paced, social- savvy, and professionally ready individual.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Entering this summer, I did not know what to expect. I was excited for the opportunities I had presented myself with, but nervous of the unexpected. I balanced work and class just fine; with proper time management skills I found myself rarely overwhelmed. There were times when the stress of work exacerbated the stresses of homework assignments. But by your senior year of college, I believe this is more second-nature then stressful. Emotionally I was very sound. Of course going to work can be boring at times, but with the friendly, easy-going staff I was surrounded by, it made my time seem effortless. I would not say I was ever overwhelmed at any point, perhaps frustrated that I had to wake up as early (and as often) as I did.

    I would rate my experience in the highest of regards. I was given the opportunity to work towards hands-on experience in my professional field-of-choice, and I can genuinely say I got a great deal out of it. Positive would be an understatement, working with Seminole Boosters was a great experience; and I fully intend to keep interning with them come Fall semester.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, this semester I did not struggle like I did last semester. I only had one other class I was taking this summer even though it was a graduate level class for my coaching certificate. I was able to keep things in perspective and keep a balanced schedule. Also, I was able to be fully committed and give 100 percent to the internship. My internship requires a lot of self organization, research, travel, and evaluation. After evaluating a player you must paint a picture in a scouting report. At times, I did feel overwhelmed but had to set priorities, goals, and objectives to complete during the week and month. I truly enjoyed my experience this summer and was able to build a new network in North Carolina. This was definitely a positive learning experience and one that will help me in the future. It is time to graduate and get a real J-O-B!

    Synopsis of my internship duties and responsibilities:
    • Researched players to be scouted and evaluated
    • Networked with area coaches to verify pitching rotations
    • Responsible for scouting college players and high school players that was selected for USA Baseball from around the United States and Puerto Rico
    • Scouted the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, NC
    • Coverage area consisted of USA Baseball Tournaments held both in Cary and Durham, NC
    • Completed scouting reports on players and turned into supervisor

    ReplyDelete
  16. During this semester I have had many different feelings. When I first started I was very excited to try and make an impression and ready to do anything and everything to do that. But as the semester went on, the office became dead since no varsity sports are active. We ran out of things to do and things to create. It was getting repetitive and it was annoying how every week we were told the football posters are coming in. They did not come in until today. I did not struggle with my internship and classes because whenever I had a free moment which was almost always I would do my homework for the one class.

    Just from today with the football posters coming in and us delivering some out made me happy to be there again. Before I was counting down the days but now I wish we had more time to send out posters to more people since we end next Wednesday. To rate my experience it wasn't negative but it was a disappointment. I am looking forward to the fall when I continue this internship and work with events.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In beginning of my internship, I did struggle balancing class and being in the office every day, being that I was enrolled in the Summer B session and one of my classes started 15-30 minutes after I was released from the internship. Fortunately, my department is extremely lenient and rearranged my schedule for that summer session so that I could get to my class on time. On a daily basis, I'm always enthused about going to the office; there is never a dull moment in the department. Of course there were some days when no one in the office utilize my time, but on those days I was simply release for the day and then there were days that completely opposite; for the fact that I do not like starting things without completing them, there were many times where I put in overtime to finish an assignment, but since I thoroughly enjoyed my internship, staying a little later was never a problem. There was never a situation where I was extremely incapable of doing a project, so never was there an overwhelming emotion. Sometimes I was unsatisfied with my timing, whether it was my arrival timing or an estimated time I gave myself to finish a project, but my supervisor was not concerned about arriving late, merely because he knew I always put in extra effort to get my work done. Even without knowing much about the field, I had positive feelings throughout the entire internship. Overall, my experience as an intern was nothing short of amazing, and I would definitely rate it as a positive experience. Being able to be behind the scenes, networking with many in the field of sport media and getting the hands on experience is an experience that I dearly cherish and I am grateful to continue this position as in intern for the upcoming school year.

    ReplyDelete