A lot of discussion in
business journals lately revolves around the impact of upward social influence
tactics. Upward social influence tactics can be understood as the way
subordinates (you guys) attempt to positively impact the relationship with the
supervisor in order to improve their own ability for promotion. Some believe
influence tactics are strictly conscious while others believe that sometimes an
individual might perform influence tactics without necessarily knowing it. An
example of an influence tactic would be to ingratiate yourself to your supervisor
by always complementing their work. Another influence tactic might be always
staying late or being their early. Or, you may be the first to volunteer for a
job nobody else wants to do. Do you in your job notice yourself purposefully
engaging in social influence tactics? In what way have you performed social
influence? Do you believe it is having a positive effect on your relationship
with your supervisor? Have some tactics backfired?
I’ve definitely taking part in voluntary and involuntary social influence tactics. Part of my personality and part of the way I was raised was to always go the extra mile and do everything I can to separate myself from the standard employee that does just enough to get by. I often find myself involuntarily taking part in a social influence tactic and example is offering to clean the Gatorade cooler when I don’t have to. Recently, I voluntarily took part in a social influence tactic by offering to coach a practice for the team that was originally cancelled because the head & assistant coaches weren’t able to make it. Saturday practices are usually the most productive and instead of cancelling it I volunteered myself to be in charge of it. I did this purposely because I knew it would look good and show my commitment to the team and to being a good coach. Cleaning the Gatorade cooler and recording times are two jobs that people don’t like doing much but I always am the first to volunteer. My belief is that you have to work your way up the ladder to be successful, and this is an example in my opinion. None of my tactics seem to have backfired although it is possible that one can overdo the amount of social influence tactics they put into one relationship. If you do so, you can come off as cheesy and not genuine. I try to avoid that at all costs. So far, I think my social influence is having a positive effect on the head & assistant coaches. The day I think that it stops having a positive effect is when I should take a whole new approach to social influence tactics.
ReplyDelete-Trevor
I have certainly engaged in both voluntary and involuntary social tactics. I always show up for work early and do not leave until they tell me I can. I always try to ask for something to do if I have finished the job they have assigned me. I also attempt to ask many questions so that they know I am hungry to learn and to grow through my position as an intern. I am sure I also do subtle things like overemphasized listening styles when being given an order or having one of my questions answered. I also try to always look anxious and anticipating so that they know I am both eager and on my toes. I also attempt to stay updated with my supervisor and talk to him about my experiences show that he knows I do care about what I am doing. He is a very laid back and somewhat unorganized person when it comes to giving me things to do. That being said, I try to take the initiative to find out what I will be doing week to week as far as my schedule goes. I also try to ask him about any events I can work for him and things like that. I do think engaging in social influence tactics helps as long as it is not too much. Almost every boss or supervisor was at one time an entry level worker or intern and knows what it is like to be in the position. They can tell the difference between and eager, hardworking person and one who pretends to be and gives out compliments in order to persuade him or her. I think supervisors and bosses want to see some type of social influence tactics so that they know a worker does care about his or her position and is attempting to get something out of the experience.
ReplyDeleteI believe social influence tactics have a positive effect on the worker-supervisor relationship. I definitely take advantage of these tactics. Social influence tactics are important, especially for interns, because it demonstrates that the worker truly wants to be there. Always complimenting the supervisors tie or dress is a bit ridiculous, but being the first person to step up to a task and using formal verbiage such as sir/ma’am is completely necessary. I think the correct use of social influence tactics are respectful and demonstrate a worker’s dedication. Another thing I like to do that may fall under the category as social tactic includes sending thank you emails. No matter if the person spoke with me for five minutes or an hour I ALWAYS thank them for their time. I have seen success using social influence tactics and I will continue to use them in the future. I believe that if done correctly, and most important professionally, it would be difficult to have it backfire. Everyone likes a friendly face who is eager to learn and be on task. A compliment here or there doesn’t hurt either (as long as it’s the truth!)
ReplyDeleteSocial influence tactics come with the territory. For any individual, the ultimate goal is to improve your standing within a company. As an intern, you want people to take notice of your work during your tenure. I don't think I purposely engage in social influence tactics, but rather these tactics come as second nature and are innate. CBS Atlanta is filled with individuals who have been in the business and media industry for years, and I want them to take notice of my work. That means I need to go above and beyond what is expected of me. As far as performing social influence, one such example may be when I took an assignment in sports that no one else wanted to do. Someone was required to head up to Flowery Branch, Georgia, for some Atlanta Falcon player interviews. It came natural to me to volunteer for that assignment, as I wanted to make the most of opportunities presented before me. I think my work and the positive social influence tactics I exert, in turn, have helped to develop a positive relationship between my supervisors and I. It has helped us to work together and grow closer as professionals, which can only help me in years to come. No social influence tactic has ever backfired on me during my tenure at CBS Atlanta. My supervisors can always use help, so my attitude of volunteering is always for certain jobs or assignments is always welcomed. Social influence tactics have been quite successful for me in their use, and I can only imagine that I will unknowingly use them more and more as I grow older.
ReplyDeleteInterns use social influence tactics to positively impact their internship experience. We are all interning in this field because we want to have a career in this industry. Interns as well as employees who are looking to move up in this industry use influence tactics. While some are conscious and other are subconscious, regardless we still use them. I have found myself saying late on more than one occasion because something needed to get done and I knew that I would not have time the next day. I feel that I am always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone in the office that needs help, no matter how unglamorous the task. By engaging in social influence at the office I feel that it is having a positive effect on my relationship with my supervisor. By staying late or coming in early my supervisor knows that they can count on me.
ReplyDeleteUnconsciously, I find myself performing social influence tactics, in the workplace. For instance, being punctual is just a skill trait that I find imperative to both getting and keeping my current position. As a standard I have set for myself, I don’t use it as a means of promotion. This may be seen as a social influence tactics however because it could, in addition to other essential professional habits i.e. staying on task or meeting deadlines, improve my ability for promotion. Another example would be “getting personal” with my supervisor. I fill the most comfortable with my supervisor and fellow colleagues by getting personal. For instance, asking them about his day or sharing concern in times of stress is just something I do; I care. Though the workplace is not the place for such matters, by getting personal I find that my colleagues and my supervisor are more comfortable working along aside me. This has naturally develops trust between my supervisor and I. Being human, while being professional keeps me sane but also in good graces with my supervisor.
ReplyDeleteOnce again, I don’t necessarily do either of these things for a promotion, however I can only imagine it helping for upward mobility in the public relations industry. Though I have not suffered backfired from any of the previous mentioned tactics, I do imagine “brown-nosing” to be consequence, if unconscious social influence tactics are seen as ingenious. No one appreciates a “brown-noser”, especially a supervisor. Therefore, when feelings of being “used” just for promotion sake are felt, there should be no surprised why social influence tactics may backfire.
As one of many interns I found myself performing social influence tactics to simply have myself stand out in a crowd. I could tell by supervisors they wanted someone who is a "go-getter" and "not afraid to say no." Therefore performing social influence tactics such as taking on duties that other interns did not want to, or stay a little later to get everything i was asked for the day done. I always want my social influence tactics to favor me in a positive manner which they have. I found that the supervisor would ask me personally to do things instead of other interns because he knows I will properly get them finished.
ReplyDeleteThere are sometimes where social influence tactic could backfire. I have not experienced this but I could tell that the supervisor would get annoyed with everyone asking "is there anymore i could help with" all day. If you really wanted to be an overachiever, you would find something on your own that you could help with. But constantly being the face of the supervisor almost annoying him, would cause them to become annoyed with your social influence tactics.
Upward social influence tactics seems like a nice, elaborate way of saying sucking up. However, I believe that there is a difference between the two and the impact of these social influence tactics is prevalent in the workplace. Personally, I have no trouble admitting that I purposefully engage in these tactics in a wide variety of ways. A prime example of how I performed an influence would be asking my supervisor for advice often, while constantly complimenting his work throughout the day. Who wouldn’t want to have someone around who gives you compliments and builds your self-esteem? If you personalize all of your relationships, then you will stick out over someone who doesn’t care to even look you in the eye during a conversation. If you conduct these tactics properly, it definitely has a positive effect on your relationship with not only your supervisor but your coworkers as well. These tactics can backfire if you only conduct them to one person. Otherwise, the rest of the office or workplace could start to consider you as a suck-up and no longer communicate effectively with you. Overall, upward social influence tactics should be used by everyone because in the end it will positively affect your relationship with everyone around you.
ReplyDeleteIn my internship I have known my boss for over 10 years and have looked up to him ever since. My case might be a bit different, but I do feel I might be giving off an upward social influence subconsciously. My boss in my internship is one of the most renown sports car drivers of all time and one of the most successful team owners today. I soak in everything I can and make sure he knows how much work I am willing to put in to learn. I do not see it as "sucking up," but I do see it as being beneficial to my future with the company. In racing it is definitely about who you know and the impression you leave on them so it is definitely good to separate yourself from others by presenting upward social influence. It would better you in any type of business, but it is definitely important in the competitive field of auto racing. In my case I am doing it to learn, but it should also have a positive impact on my future and making a name for myself.
ReplyDeleteI employed social influence tactics in my internship. With my early arrival for each session combined with my volunteering to stay as late as possible plus working on the weekends, I attempted to positively impact my job. By working weekends, I demonstrated my dedication and a special commitment that other employees may lack. I also inquired and volunteered to complete numerous jobs. In my case these tactics failed to work. My supervisor consistently made commits like “Shouldn’t you go home?” “Why are you here? It’s the weekend.” My enthusiasm and commitment to the job were not appreciated. This gave me an inferiority complex about the job. I wanted learn as much as possible, to do as possible; however, my job description was never defined or consistent. Before this experience, I was very confident about my use of social influence tactics.
ReplyDeleteI try to implement social influence tactics in my internship. I feel I do this both intentionally and unintentionally. Using phrases such as, "yes sir" and "no sir" and just being polite can be considered social influences but I try to use those tactics even in every day life. During my internship, I always stayed late, kept stats, filled water bottles and did any dirty work necessary, even though it was not always the most fun. Other social influences I used during my internship include helping car pool, setting up chairs for games and taking admission at the door when there was no volunteers. I believe these were all very positive for my internship. Numerous times my coached thanked me for helping out even when I did not have too and he even took me out on the last night of my internship to thank me for the assistance over the summer. This time the tactics worked and my boss was very appreciative. I have never had the tactics backfire, but I always get nervous talking to my boss because you never know when you might say a joke or phrase that could turn a great conversation into making you look immature. This internship allowed me to strengthen my social influence tactics.
ReplyDeleteI guess this upward social influence tactic is somewhat like upward impression management in the workforce. I did not realize there was a term for that and just thought it was called “brownnosing.” The whole point for students to complete a practicum/internship is to really dig deep and learn as much as we can. Ask questions and volunteer for other duties if the daily tasking is not enough. Some days you might be overwhelmed and other days you might be counting paperclips. Completing an internship is to expand the knowledge base and as stated before to learn as much as possible. For me being retired military I have always done more than expected. Some individuals do just enough to get by and earn a paycheck or in this case do enough to get the three credits. No matter what you do you should always go above and beyond and make an impression. Never stop learning because at some point you can be the subject matter expert at what you do. I was brought up and raised to be the best at whatever you do. My Dad would say, “I don’t care what you boys do, but be the best at what you do. If you decide to be a garbage man, then be the best damn garbage man out there.” Of course I didn’t want to go into that line of work but you get the point. I do the extras, show up early, stay late if needed, and work on reports in the wee morning hours to stay caught up. Overall I am doing what is expected and loving every minute of it. But I am sure if these tactics are used in a negative way, i.e. “brown nosing” then it could backfire. I do none of that, I am what you see, what you get, no nonsense guy that loves his job and very passionate about it.
ReplyDeleteNo I do not see myself as engaging in social influence tactics because one of my supervisors I knew from another mutual friend since we both went to the same area high schools and would play each other in sports. I feel that hinders me since I don't feel that I should be engaging in social influence tactics. Plus my office hours for my internship, I work with returners so I just follow them and think I am doing an okay enough job. I have a friend who has the same internship but office hours on a different day then me; whenever I see her she has to brag about how much she is doing and extra work because she's asking for it. When I hear that I think wow they must think she is annoying for doing all of that. There is a point where it can be over the top in which it backfires by trying to be the best. You will be the best if you don't try so hard but show that you care and are putting 100% effort in my view.
ReplyDeleteI have the feeling my upward social influence tactics are unlike most the experiences students have in summer internships. My job atmosphere, and the relationship between my boss and I, has a very relaxed, but understood respect. This respect goes both ways; he expects me to be on top of my assignment, and I am. With that respect comes, without a doubt, upward social influence tactics. The idea of using upward social influence tactics makes perfect sense; it’s a great way to slowly, but surely, improve status with your employer. But with this freedom and understanding in my workplace, my upward social influence tactics are just another part of the job. I wouldn’t honestly consider any of “tactics” as tactics at all, just an appropriate work ethic my position calls for.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this topic I realized how much I engage myself in social influence tactics. My influence tactics include staying late, as well as asking the supervisors for extra tasks or volunteering for a duty that no one really wants to do, along with other tasks. Although I partake in such activities, this is not something that I knowingly think about doing just to get some type of fringe benefits from, I do it because it's just a part of my work ethic. With all being said, even though I do not believe that social influence tactics should be used solely for reward purposes, I do believe that the tactics have multiple positive effects for interns/ employees because your supervisor will see that you are going above and beyond in the organization and hard work alone will never go unnoticed.
ReplyDeleteIn my job I feel that there are always opportunities to engage in social influence tactics. I try to take full advantage of these opportunities in many ways. For example, I have taken on three different projects during my short internship, but also take the time to do little tasks to help out around the floor. I believe it is important to try and help out in any way you can as an intern. At the same time, I believe it’s important not to try too hard at pleasing your boss. For example, just because your boss has a heavy workload, you shouldn’t offer to take jobs on yourself if you know you cannot complete them with the same precision. It’s better to just do your one job well than do a million jobs at an average level. Social influence tactics can be good if they fall within the lines of your role, but when it comes to constantly complementing or interrupting, this can be seen as annoying.
ReplyDelete