Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Last Post!
For the last post, provide your fellow students with a brief description of how you felt overall about your experience. Would you do it again? Would you recommend one of them try to work there? Use this as an opportunity to provide a brief glimpse into your final term paper, which your fellow students will not get to see. Make sure you read other's post and comment on at least one person's post. It can be anything job related. Finally, tell me what you would have done differently if you were the supervisor. Saying nothing is a fine answer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For my overall experience, I can say that I have learned so much. I am able to take away most of the things I have gained and use them in different work settings. The people that I have met and the relationships that I have built will continue to develop over the year. From observing on the outside, I have gained just as much as well. I was able to see how things are run and get an idea of how the sport community works together. By allowing myself to be available to all areas within this internship, I was able to be counted on and accepted in this environment. I would absolutely do this internship again and recommend it to many people but I am hoping to finish out the year. My supervisor has been great and I wouldn’t ask for him to change anything. He has helped me, critiqued me, and developed my talents for which he thinks will be useful for future positions.
ReplyDeleteI had a great experience with my internship. It kept me busy and focused as I became a better sports writer. I would definitely do it again if the opportunity ever presented itself. I would recommend someone to do this internship because it keeps you thinking about different sports topics and it broadens your overall knowledge of teams and leagues. If I was the supervisor, I would add maybe one or two more article that the interns would have to write per week. I would also let them do more group projects so they could get use to communicating and working with other people. I really enjoyed this internship and I was really pleased with the experience that i got from it.
ReplyDeleteOverall with my internship I feel that I have had a positive impact on my educational and professional experience. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of new and different people, and we all know networking is an important aspect to the sports industry. Also, this internship will hopefully prove to look very good on my resume as I am hoping it will act as another way I can stand out amongst any competitors for a job. I would definitely recommend for anyone to apply for my internship. It honestly was not a lot of work and a lot of fun for the most part. The tasks were not too demanding yet the knowledge you gain is great. I would like to do my internship again but I would rather do it at a different university to become more diverse about different athletic departments and the way the internal business aspect works. If I were my supervisor, I would prepare more work for the interns to do during the office hours as most of the time were sat there and just worked on school work until we were asked to run a small errand.
ReplyDeleteI felt the overall experience with my internship was an amazing one as I got to experience first hand what is involved in being a Division 1 soccer coach at an elite program. I would definitely do this internship again and in fact, I will be continuing with it all the way up until I graduate in the spring of 2013. I would not have done anything differently as the supervisor, as I believe he did a great job teaching me, helping me learn and providing me with the type of experiences I can take with me as I pursue jobs throughout the course of my career. He treated me with the upmost respect as an intern and encouraged me, as he seems to think I have a great future ahead of me. This has been the experience of a lifetime and I have gotten to do things that most college students will never get a chance to do as non-athletes at a university. Between working practices, games, videotaping, taking stats, traveling to both Conference and NCAA Tournaments, I have been blessed to learn many of the little things that I never knew were involved in coaching and this insight will help me advance in my career. I owe all this knowledge and experience to my internship and for this I will be forever grateful.
ReplyDeleteResponding to student19...
ReplyDeleteI agree that networking is an important aspect of the sport industry. I too met lots of new and different people at my internship that I can use in my network in the future. It makes the world of a difference when applying for a job or getting a job if you have a good network support system. A good network can help you get a job, give you letters of recommendation and even inform you about job openings you may have not known about otherwise.
My overall experience in this internship was great.I would definitly do it again, in fact i am doing it again. I will be working at Seminole Sports Marketing as an intern once again in the spring. The office hours were actually very boring and tedious and the epitomy of "intern work" but the events themselves were GREAT. I learned a lot about how to run events and how promotions and advertising works. As a spectator it seems so natural and normal that all these things are happening around you but when you are actually doing them then you realize how much work and effort goes into doing these events.
ReplyDeleteI would definitley reccommend this internship to people looking to advance in the sports marketing aspect in their careers. It is a great foot in the door because they people who work there are really interested in helping you out in advancing yourself.
Finally, i would really only change one thing about how my supervisor handeled the interns. At times i felt like we were kind of given the "bitch" work just for the sake of having work to do, not because it needed to be done. I felt used at times especially because i wasnt getting paid. I think that if the work does not have to be done, dont make me do it just to keepo me "Busy". Other than that, it was a great experience and i cant wait for the spring!
Overall, my experience this semester was great! Even though I didn’t really learn anything new (because I have been there for 3 semesters now), I still enjoyed my time at the office and at events. I have gotten closer to the people I work with and consider us a little family. I would absolutely intern again at the office; I will probably still continue it until I graduate in April.
ReplyDeleteI don’t know if I would recommend this internship to others. It depends on if they mind doing petty little tasks like stuffing envelopes and running errands to different sport offices around campus. I would recommend it to someone who just wants to get their feet in the door and wants to learn how to work in an office environment.
I don’t think I would have done much different had I been supervising an intern. It was clearly communicated from the first day what was expected of me; that set the standard for my time there. I wouldn’t change anything because I was still allowed to have fun and be myself while working. This made my internship enjoyable and worthwhile!
Response to Student 20:
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like we had a pretty similar experience interning. Our office work was boring, but we really enjoyed when we were able to get out and work the events. It's so true that you don't really understand what goes into an event until you are part of organizing it. It seems like both of us have benefited from our time interning, which is all you can ask for!
Response to student 16
ReplyDeleteI also agree with student sixteen because I believe that communication with others is key, and if you’re being held back from that experience it could definitely hinder your development. Overall, it seems as though this person’s experience made them more interested in continuing to peruse that field and could possibly help them lead to a further internship.
My experience working with this marketing firm has been great. You learn alot while working there, teamwork and especially how much time it takes to put on an event, the planning, the actual event itself, it is really time consuming. I also met many people who could be beneficial later on, you definitely have opportunities to network with professionals in the business. In sum, I had alot of fun and would recommend this internship to anyone, if they have the desire to work and interested in the marketing side of sports. I would do this again, and in fact I am next semester, I will be working more in the office than before, but I decided to continue this experience. There is really nothing I would do differently if I were my supervisiors. They all had us busy with the events or in the office, which is how I like it. I really have appreciated this internship opportunity they have given me, and looking forward to next semester.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Leo
My time spent coaching as an intern has been most enjoyable. However, being the track junkie that I am, anything involving running is a good time for me. I would definitely do this again. I love coaching, and the kids make it much more enjoyable by making everything fun so they enjoy it as well. It's a circle of enjoyment! (Ha!) The only thing is, I would not recommend this internship to anyone unless your dream is to become a track and field coach. I realized this is not my dream. I enjoy it, but there are other things I know I would have enjoyed much more.
ReplyDeleteIf I had to make any suggestions, they would include making me write out the workouts for the entire season and having the workout schedule due on a particular date. Not only would it have a good tool for coaching in the future, but it would have also made it easy on me because I would have had a plan rather than coming up with workouts the day of.
In regards to the post from Student 11
ReplyDeleteI think it's really awesome that you had a coaching internship. I recently have decided that i would like to go into coaching and would definitively be interested in doing it later in my career as well. I actually hate running but i love motivating and bringing energy to the table when it come to sports.
I think your blatant honestly about the internship is great because i do believe that just because we like playing a sport, doesnt mean that being around it a lot is good for us.
Great Post!
Hello my fellow classmates, first off I hope all of you have had a great experience so far with your interns. My internship has been a great opportunity for me to learn many different aspect of the industry I one day aspire to be in. I had my ups and downs doing mission after mission for my supervisor but all in all it was a priceless experience that I will be able to carry with me for the years to come. If I had a chance to intern with this company again there is no doubt in my mind that I would! As to all of you and for others looking to get into the coaching industry I highly recommend interning with some sort of track program where ever it might be. If I was the supervisor I would not do anything differently, in my eyes everything within the company seems to run nice and smooth.
ReplyDeleteIn response to student #16
Sports’ writing seems very interesting and it seems as if you learned a few things which are great. I like the fact that you wanted to do more work for the intern and be more involved. Seems as if you enjoyed yourself, hopefully the knowledge you have gained will help you in the future in this line of work.
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time at my internship this semester. I actually was blessed to have the chance to continue my experience into the next semester where I will be able to learn more about sports marketing. I have recommended many of my friends to apply and work where I work to partake in a great learning experience at a major university. If I was my supervisor I would have taken more time to explain why things are done the way they are and would have tried to teach the interns and prepare them for a career in the field they are in.
ReplyDeleteIn response to Student 11:
ReplyDeleteYou were blessed with an opportunity to realize what you want to do with your career, which I think is the purpose of having an internship. It's great that you found out that you liked coaching, however figuring out that being a track coach is not your dream was yet another benefit you received from interning.
Overall, my experience as an intern this semester was mediocre. I was given poor shifts to come into the office, and therefore wasn't able to sign up for any of the projects that were posted at the beginning of each week. I didn't really have a whole lot to do, and ended up just doing the "bitch" work that people typically associate with internships.
ReplyDeleteI honestly would not do this internship again as I feel I could have gained more experience by doing a different internship elsewhere. While the games were enjoyable to attend (and certainly see a different perspective being in the press box), the jobs during the games are not difficult. They entail running stats to members of the press. Needless to say, it wasn't very enjoyable.
I would say though, that if someone is extremely interested in Sports Information, that this internship would be great for them. It would provide them an opportunity to see what the industry has to offer, and working with one of the top college programs in the nation. If you are lucky enough to have an office shift in the beginning part of the week, you could sign up for cool projects, such as player interviews, writing feature articles, things of that sort.
If I was a supervisor, I would have specific projects to assign each intern that were different, but within the sports they are working with. I am working with baseball and women's soccer, so I would have assigned some big project for one or both of those sports. That way, even if there wasn't a weekly or daily thing to work on, there was still that big item that could be completed during the office hours.
In response to student #16...
ReplyDeleteSports writing sounds like it was very interesting and enjoyable. I think I would like that internship, especially more than the one that I worked on. I'd imagine that it would be enjoyable to write and discuss sports with other fans out there. Maybe that is something that I will into doing next semester!
Overall my experience as an operations intern was good, definitely could have been better but I gained a lot of valuable experience. Only wish I would have been able to gain more through more time. I would definitely do it again, under proper planning, and I hope to return again in the spring until my time here at Florida State is finished. I would definitely recommend working with this team under proper circumstances, and prior relationships with some of the staff. It is a strict business that can be kind of socially challenging at times.
ReplyDeleteWorking in the front office of a Division 1 Football program located inside the headquarters of a division 1 athletic program, provided a plethora of experience not only in team operations but the overall operating procedure of an athletic department. Being located in such a hub allowed me to gain basic knowledge in the NCAA compliance, video production, equipment management, Health and liability , marketing and Sports Information
If I was my supervisor, the only thing I would do different is have a more strict set of guidelines and Job Outline in the case of hiring an intern. In a strange way I benefited by being thrust into so many random positions, I was able to learn of the workings of a football program in terms of recruiting, coaching and administrative duties. But still at time it proved to be kind of hectic or unclear, as I could be assigned more than one job at a time, and unable to fulfill one or the other because of a clashing of ideas.
Overall my internship was a lot of fun and really eye opening to the world of sport marketing. I now have a great understanding of how a marketing department works and how to better my chances in the work force in the future. I would recommend to anyone and everyone to try and work for IMG, they are a great company and are tremendous to their employees. The one thing I wish would have been different is that I wish I could have tried and and broaden my work experience which I'm going to try to do in the spring when I continue to work for them.
ReplyDelete